Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any tips on cutting Creeping Buttercup?

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 14:25

Does anyone have any tips on cutting Creeping Buttercup/ Ranunculus repens? I'm planning on using some in very small bouquets I'm selling at market tomorrow. I cut some early this morning while it was still cool and put them directly into Jeannes preservative formula and then right into refrigeration. Anything else I'm missing? Oh wait, I forgot to recut the stems underwater! I should probably do that yet too. Any vase life estimates?

Thanks,
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any tips on cutting Creeping Buttercup?

Well, I can report a bit on Ranunculus repens now. I've been using some this week in small cut flower bouquets and have been leaving some out at room temperature to observe. The vase life of the flower itself is very good lasting at least a week in good condition but the stem is another matter. The stems are brittle and also tend to turn into brown mush even while the flower continues to remain acceptable. In my latest arrangements I avoided having tall stems due to concerns that they might flop over. Instead I arranged the flowers such that a nearby foliage plant would support the flower in the event that the stem loses turgidity. The stems seemed to hold up best if I chose only the thickest stems, recut them underwater and then refrigerated them immediately.

I would say that this flower is acceptable for cut flower use but only in small vase arrangements not in celeophane wrapped flowers or mid to large arrangements and not in situations where the stem might get pinched. I didn't bother trying any tests out of water as I'm sure the stem would flop very rapidly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here