Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vines for cutting?

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 14:30

Are there many vining plants that are used for cut flowers? Doesn't seem like there are too many. I just got some Gloriosa lilies and that got me to wondering. What about Clematis? Do any of them last well as cut flowers? I was just thinking about making a trellis of some sort for the Gloriosas and I was wondering what else I could grow on it that would be good for cutting.

- Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vines for cutting?

Yes, Clematis 'montana' does well ( I'm sure other do well), honey suckle (short lived but mmmmm smells good), hops, sweet peas (cut them long with lots of vine), bittersweet (mine is still establishing).

o

I use clematis as cut flowers all the time. I especially like viticella Betty Corning because it has a light fragrance that is quite nice. Chalk Hill Clematis which used to be a retail nursery for clematis plant also sells and ships clematis as cut flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chalk Hill Clematis

o

Miguel, thanks for the suggestion of clematis. I already have 2 Elsa Spath's and a Ramona growing but I didn't think they would work well as cuts. I'll give them a try. What's your average vase life?

o

I really don't know Steve. I don't condition them at all and when they start to fade,they are removed and replaced. :) If you look on the Chalk Hill website, they list which varieties they grow to sell as cut flowers so that may steer you in the correct direction. You might also want to contact them and ask for their conditioning techniques if they will share them.

o

I did find some useful info on the Chalk Hill site (see below.) Looks like they do have good vase life so I'm going to look into buying some more varieties.
----------------------------

The stem length is about 18 inches with one flower per stem.

Clematis are an excellent vase flower, and will usually last 10-12 days after receiving them. They are best used in fresh water, not oasis.

We ship a minimum of 10-15 bunches per box.

12-18 stems come per bunch, depending on the variety and size of the flowers.

Prices vary depending on availability and season. Average rates are as follows: $30-$40 per large flowered bunch, and $25-$35 per small flowered bunch. For wholesale rates we require a resale license on file.

o

For the gloriosa lillies. You'll need to keep the roots cool,keep the pot out of the sun, or the vines will be short.

o

Thanks for the tip James. I'll make sure to underplant them with something shallow rooted like annual sweet alyssum.

o

Never had that issue here in NC with gloriosa lilies. Mine were in a pot in full sun and had long stems.

o

Hyacinth bean are vining and are great for cutting, but they are annuals. They have purple pods too.

o
RE: Clematis

Wow, I'm totally amazed at the vase life of Clematis! I cut one stem from my Elsa Spaeth a full week ago on the morning of May 10th and it is still in absolutely perfect condition! :) After cutting it off the vine I recut the stem under water and then placed it in preservative (Jeanne's recipe) at room temperature and I've been very pleased with it's performance. This morning I cut a flower from my Clematis 'Ramona' for a similar test. Thanks, Miguel for telling me that they cut well, I'm now a true believer and now I REALLY want some more varieties! ;)

o

Bitter Sweet Nightshade. It grows wild in my backyard.(and other spots)
It's a nice range of colors, from the green leaves, the dark lavender flowers and the scarlet berries.

o

I use passion flower vines - without the flowers (they don't hold) as filler. It grows like weeds around our house and costs me nothing, but looks very expensive. Vase life is incredible.

o

Sweet Pea's...they vine but I notice they grab on to a trellis or tripod rather than actually climbing up it...but I bought some packs from the dollar store (3 for a dollar) and they are awesome. They don't look on the vine as if they'll be the showstoppers that they are when cut and put in a vase.

o

Has anyone tried Corkscrew Vine?? The smell is divine, kinda like hyacinths....and the vines are SO easy to grow. I can cut a 6-10 inch tendril off, stick in a 3 inch pot of sand, and it roots...Unique and so fragrant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here