Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sgiesler_gw

Thumbs Up!

sgiesler
19 years ago

I have had a couple of encouraging conversations with people in the know in the last few days. Actually the two I have talked to are married to each other but work at different jobs. The man I talked to is an extension agent and his wife works for a conservation project who happens to be sponsering a local growers group. Both of them have really encouraged me to pursue cut flower growing. The only competition at the local growers market apparently sells other things too and doesn't have much of a selection on the flower end. I think sunflowers are a go. The other lady does sell glads and zinnias so I am not positive yet if I will get the go ahead to sell those. I got the impression it would be o.k. if I sold a wide range of flowers. She really wants more cut flowers being sold at the market but was quite specific about what is desirable. She is apparently big on having a huge variety and growers bunches. I think hand-tied boquets would be a hit with her too but I do not yet know how to do that. She wants people to be able to pick and choose what they want for their boquets. I was also told about another potential outlet and put on her list of potential growers. The growers have meetings so I will get invited to them. I am excited. I was also encouraged to stop by and look at the growing for market magazine and to copy the cutflower articles. I am definitely going to take her up on looking at those. I hated to subscribe until I at least read one so here is my chance. Sorry for the long read but I wanted to share my encouraging news. Shirley

Ps. The market did have a waiting list in the past (for inside stalls I think)so I was worried I wouldn't be able to get a spot. This local growers association is a new thing and they are scheduled to take over the market house facility soon. So I might just be fortunate enough to be getting in on the ground floor. Previously some of the space was rented out to crafters and for flea market type stuff. Also some truck farmers that didn't grow anything just resold.

Comments (5)

• goshawker
    19 years ago

Shirley,

Great news!! Now you are on your way. You are going to learn so much. You at least have a plan, something I never started with.

Good luck,

Steve

• sgiesler
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Steve,

You seem to be doing great without a plan:) Thanks for the encouragement. I am very excited about the possibilities ahead of me. Shirley

• Flower_Phil
    19 years ago

These are a few ideas/suggestions that I have learned while selling flowers. I hope they'll help get you started.

Use the same type of container throughout your display. I found that blue plastic waste baskets worked well and cost $2 ea.

Keep the display looking full. Customers stop buying when they think that they are getting the last unwanted flowers.

There are very different customers shopping at craft markets as compared to farmers' markets where fresh produce is found. We found that farmer's markets work better for us.

Don't wear sunglasses while dealing with the customers. They like to see your eyes when buying.

Offer information about your flowers and AFTER they have bought them, suggest how best to keep the flowers lasting. ie: clean the vase thoroughly; keep cut flowers out of direct sun; keep cut flowers away from fresh fruits/veggies; etc.

Wear an apron with deep pockets in which to keep your money/change.

And enjoy yourself!
    Phil

• sgiesler
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Phil,

Thanks for the advice. One thing I was thinking about is if I should give flyers on cutflower care with the purchase of a boquet. I thought perhaps those who pass flyers out, could share them with us newbies. Anyone? Thanks again, Shirley

• Flower_Phil
    19 years ago

Shirley,
    Here is what I give out. I print 4 copies per sheet of paper. You'll have to change the measurements from metric though, or use the recipe that I saw posted awhile back.

Tips for Cut Flowers
    · Be sure your vase is clean! Bacteria in a dirty vase will dramatically shorten the life of any cut flower.
    · Replace the water in the vase every two days.
    · Trim the stems on a 45 angle. DO NOT CRUSH the stems of cut flowers.
    · Keep cut flowers away from fresh fruit and vegetables. They are giving off ethylene gas as part of their natural ripening process. This causes other fruits, vegetables and flowers to ripen quicker.
    · Keep cut flowers away from any direct heat source or direct sunlight.
    · A smoking environment will shorten cut flowers life.

Cut Flower Food

1 litre water 15 mL white vinegar
    2 mL bleach 15 mL white sugar

Phil

Sponsored