Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Longer stemmed Alchemilla (Ladies Mantle)

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 11, 09 at 14:59

I have several alchemilla plants but mine seem to always have short stems that hang low to the ground. Are there varieties that grow longer more erect stems for cutting or do I just need to treat mine better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Longer stemmed Alchemilla (Ladies Mantle)

Yes, there is a smaller version and the regular one. It also depends on if they are in full sun or part shade. Mine in Pt. shade get taller.

o

I got my original plant from a friend so I don't know what cultivar it is. Apparently it's the smaller version though since it just seems to creep along the ground. I'll have to buy the larger version for cutting.

o

I have 'Thriller' in full sun, it gets very full and flowers well, but takes a couple of years to get up to full steam, as do many perennials. I got mine from HD a couple of years ago, and bought more last year! :)

o

I use Thriller as well, and there is another variety, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. I have mine in partial shade and it does get very tall and I have almost two 3' x 25' beds of it. Great filler!

o

Thanks, sounds great, I'll look for Thriller.

o

I found that the wetter springs were good to my plants, but it was important to still have good drainage. I added lots of compost to our beds when we planted them, and always mulch. flowers4u, you probably have ideal conditions. I have amended clay soil.

o

Prairiegirl - I have clay as well, but the beds the Lady's Mantle are in under 2 large oak trees, so they get the shade and leaves in the fall! And, those beds actually haven't had any compost that I remember...humm, probably should!

I have one plant in an odd spot (just haven't gotten around to moving it) and its in mostly sun and is never as tall, probably 6-8" shorter...if that helps!
Wendy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here