Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve22802

Ideas for curly filler?

steve22802
14 years ago

I've been making some small cut flower arrangements to sell at my local farmers market and I've been occasionally using pieces of dried ornamental grass (Miscanthus senensis) to add an interesting curly texture. But it doesn't seem like a very high percentage of the leaves are curly the way I prefer. What other plant materials could I grow that would be curly either fresh or dried?

Comments (10)

• all_bout_flowers
    14 years ago

curly willow

• steve22802
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, all_bout_flowers, I was just talking to my mother yesterday about this same topic and she mentioned the same plant and said that one of her neighbors has a plant from which I should be able to take a cutting. Do you have any advice on propagating curly willow?

• all_bout_flowers
    14 years ago

If she'll let you take quite a few cutting. Ones you'll use for propagating and then the nice ones for bouquets. Just stick them in a bucket and forget about them for a while, check them to make sure they still have water. You should have roots in three weeks to a month, then plant them up in pots until they get big strong roots. If you have a pond or bog on your property that would be an ideal place to plant or somewhere where it stays moist.

• steve22802
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well I got some branches form my mom's neighbor and placed them in water to root. I looked up the specs on this tree and it says it will grow to a height of 30-50 feet! That's rather large for my average city property and also it seems like it would make it inconvenient to cut branches. Do those of you that have them do anything to limit their size like training them into a bush through hard pruning every year perhaps?

• flower_farmer
    14 years ago

Bryan in Utah, who in the past posted frequently on this forum, grows acres of willow. You may be able to contact him through his member page. However, you are correct. The willows are pruned hard every year.

• steve22802
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, I just saw this plant at Lowes today called a Corkscrew Rush. Has anyone tried growing this plant to use in floral arrangements? I was tempted to buy one on impluse but I decided to research it a bit first. Seems like it should hold up well when cut since it is listed as preferring wet soil.

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    14 years ago

I actually just bought a Corkscrew Rush, because I thought it would be great in bouquets. I planted it on the edge of my pond so hopefully the ducks do not eat it or trample it. I just planted it today, and just cut a couple of pieces of it to put into water to see how it holds up. I will let you know how I like it.

• gusolie
    14 years ago

Does the corkscrew rush grow leaves long/large enough for impact in arrangements? I mean, you need a lot of it, and is maybe best in small-scale ones, right?

Corkscrew willow is rather ordinary, since it is what is sold at craft stores, often painted white or gold, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corkscrew rush

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    14 years ago

Well, I stuck the corkscrew rush in water on May 18th and it is now June 5th and it still looks as good as it did when I cut it. So I would say it has a pretty good vase life. In fact I am surprised it is not rooting by now.

gusolie,
    When I bought mine the tag said that it gets pretty tall, don't remember exactly how tall it said, but I thought it said 2 feet. But now that I think about it that seems pretty tall. Figured I would buy it and see what it does.

• lisa22862
    14 years ago

Hi my name is Lisa and I'm new here.I also bought the corkscrew rush and did a little research on it.It grows to about two foot tall and it can also be invasive.Its great for bouquets as it lasts forever in a vase and its also good for drying.I thought it was different and decidied to try it and I'm glad I did.I've been giving it some fertilizer until its established.I
    m so greatful to have found this forum!I have been dreaming of growing flowers to sell for years and I need all the help I can get as this is the first year I'm really trying,I just wish I had more land!I don't think it will be long before I grow out of my backyard!

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County