Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
forsythia has weird growths

Posted by cateyanne zone 5/6 Northern Oh (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 5, 10 at 19:52

Hi I hope this is the right forum, couldn't find one for bushes. I have an old forsythia, always a beauty. This year I have some strange growths on some of the branches. It is kind of woody looking but rounded and dry. It is growing in the juncture of some branches. very tumor like. What could this be? I don't want to lose her. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: forsythia has weird growths

Google............

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Disease

o

LOL, that link took me to a page about "Rat model of polymicrobial infection, immunity, and bone resorption...."

o

Oops. Hope you enjoyed it. Here's the link.......

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Disease

o

thanks farmer

this doesn't sound good though. I will try cutting off the affected branches as they said.

o

update... IT did turn out to be gall. I have been fighting it ever since. I have cut and cut and cut! Last fall I felt I was losing the battle and so I cut my old forsythia down to a 4ft. height and cut out anything remotely looking like gall growth. After just checking it this spring it is budding beautifully and so far I see no growths. But it is still very early, so we shall see! Maybe I'm crazy, I just don't want to give up on this one. Not just yet anyway. Anyone ever successfully conquer gall?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here