Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help for the Procrastinator(s) among us, OR.....

Posted by SusiQ NETX, Zone 7B (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 05 at 20:38

A CLEVER Marketing idea for the Well Prepared!

Lowe's has Amazon Neon Rose, in bloom, in gallon pots, for 4.88.

Since I dithered about ordering seed, and now it's practically too late, reluctantly I went browsing at Lowe's. Their gain, my semi-gain, as I now have five wonderful healthy plants, that as soon as I can get planted will, (should!) reward me w/ SOME blooms this late spring & summer. Obviously not the 20-50-100 plants I might have if I'd ordered seed,(AND sown it!, AND made it live!) but at least "something"!

Caved on 2, 3' tall 'Becky' Daisies, too. I've been wanting to see/try them for years, this is the first place I've seen them in person. They're MUCH taller than I thought they were in plant descriptions or pics. Aren't they supposed to be THE variety for cut daisies? They do have great long stems, and I think, minimal branching, but I was shoving them into my cart too fast to look closely, worked today, and now it's late.

Lowe's also has some potted Arcotis. All I can find in Germania is that its just listed in their "regular" flowers section, and that it's similar to a Gerber. The stems were firm, but maybe hollow, I wasn't sure how they'd last as a cut. Any info? They're pretty yellows/salmon/rusts. I haven't caved on that one, YET! LOL!

So, for next year, all of you who grow plants to sell at your early markets might look into potted Becky's and Amazon Neon. The folks at Lowe's and their growers sure did, and got MY money!

Procrastinating Patty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help for the Procrastinator(s) among us, OR.....

I believe Germania doesn't list Arctotis as a cut because it closes at night and when overcast. I don't use closers as cuts but some do. Thanks for the tip on the amazon duo at Lowe's.

o

Patty,

Thanks for letting us know about the amazon and becky plants. Lowes is a ways from where I live but I get that way sometimes. Can you tell me how approximately how much the plants were? Thanks, Shirley

o

• Posted by SusiQ NETX, Zone 7B (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 27, 05 at 0:09

Shirley, LOL! I had to remind myself who "Patty" is! My nom de plume!

The plants were all in gallons, and each one was $4.88. Good buy, considering I could go by after church, the Lowe's is in town, and didn't have to use too much gas or driving time.

Seed starting earlier would have been MUCH less expensive, but, since I didn't do that, then the grown plants were/are a help.

We don't have a Home Depot close, and the Walmart did NOT have the Amazons or the Beckys. But maybe an independent garden center might have both/either, or you could call local "bedding plant" growers and see if they have any. Otherwise, maybe there's something else in the town where the Lowe's is that you just have to have, and could combine a trip.

msgreenjeans: thanks for the tip about the Arcotis. They're pretty, but I may save my $5.00 for another plant!

I'm VERY disappointed I missed Lowe's' half-price sale on caladium bulbs. I planted a BUNCH of them for a gardening client of mine, but I didn't get any for myself. Dang!

Thanks for responding ladies.

Susi/Patty!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here