Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Length of time from cutting to small shrub

Posted by lindsayg 8B (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 2, 10 at 21:45

Hi,

Does anyone know the length of time it would take to get a cutting, for example an azalea, or spiraea to a shrub size? (gallon size) I am doing an experiment and am in need of a time line!! Thank you!!

~L

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Length of time from cutting to small shrub

That's the information you would ascertain from your experiment. If we supplied the information, then it wouldn't be considered an experiment. Right? Unless you're wanting to use an existing theory. A good experiment usually tests an hypothesis which basically adds support to the original hypothesis. Therefore, I guess you are correct in asking this question. Did I not just talk in a riddle. I'm really good at that.

One suggestion I have is that a gallon size wouldn't be considered shrub size.

Aren't you glad you asked? Oh, wait. I have an idea. Go to your nearest Home Depot and pose this question to an employee in their garden department.

o
RE: Length of time from cutting to small shrub

It depends what you are growing. If you take a cutting of an azalea or rhodo in september, I would put it into a one gallon, the next spring, and then by the following june or july, it would be a nice sized one gallon. That's about 22 months?
Some things grown quicker... hydrangea, azara,choisya, cedars...and some things are slower.]Variables such as fertilizer and zone you are growing in will affect the rate of growth.
Good luck on your experiment. I hope this info helps.
Maplea

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here