Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Voles, moles and bulbs

Posted by drmatt 7/8 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 23:09

I have just really had it with the voles eating all my expensive tulips. I know the pirates weren't squirrels or larger moles, because I had a tight wire mesh underneath the bed and a 3/4" mesh on top... only voles could have gotten to them. I recently received my crocosmia (lucifer and montbretia), acidanthera and babiana stricta bulbs, hoping for a little less competition in the yard... is this still another lo$ing battle? Someone suggested juicy fruit gum, which they cannot digest.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Voles, moles and bulbs

I've been fighting a battle with voles for some time now. However, I don't know about the bulbs - the only bulbs I have in the problem areas are daffodils, and they seem to be untouched. Oh, and snowdrops too. It's my perennials plants that the voles seem to love.

I now usually plant everything with a very generous handful of crushed oyster shells. Supposedly it deters the critters from digging because they don't like the sharp bits (although if your cages don't stop them, I'm not sure crushed shells would). I also spread some mole max the last 4 or 5 years. I seemed to have some immediate results with that when I first put it down, but who knows if it was from that or if they had just eaten almost everything and were moving on anyway?

I also spread some milky spore. I know this is more for moles, but since I do have mole tunnels, I thought I'd give it a try out of desperation. I don't have much damage from moles themselves, but I've read that voles will use mole tunnels, so if I can get rid of moles, maybe that will help with the vole problem.

I have noticed some mole tunnels out in the gardens this year - haven't inspected closely yet. But it seems like most of the plant material is okay... so far.

My neighbor told me about the juicy fruit "solution" and even gave me a few packs - which I ended up chewing, lol. Never got around to putting it in the holes, so I don't know if it works or not. My problem has seemed to calm down a bit in the last year or so (which I'm afraid to admit lest I jinx it!)

Below is a thread which discusses some vole problems and hopefully some advice. If you do a search you should find more - I think there are at least two other vole threads on the New England forum alone. Popular subject, sadly.

Hope this is of some help. Good luck to you - trust me, I know what a frustrating problem this is.

:)
Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: vole thread

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here