Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlndocs

suggest a rose for cutting, but not hybrid tea?

girlndocs
16 years ago

This year I finally carved out a bed for cutflowers and I'm so excited! I'd like to add a rose, just for cutting (I have other roses around the garden). I don't like hybrid teas particularly, my preference is for antiques, English roses and the odd floribunda.

So I'm looking for a fairly compact, floriferous, hardy variety with blooms that are good for bouquets. Fragrance is nice but not essential. I'd like either something in the white-cream-blush-ivory family, or something in the very dark dramatic purply-wine family.

And, I'd rather it be one that's easy to get bareroot and local without having to pay an arm and a leg for, or have shipped halfway across the country.

I grew and liked Iceberg and Charles de Mills and I'm considering one of those but definitely open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

Kristin

Comments (8)

• kitkat_oregon
    16 years ago

Hi Kristin, I grow Iceberg and love it. Blooms seem to last well in vases. My mother in law grows lots of the 'carpet' roses and the blooms, although small, grow like floribundas, in a bunch, and seem to last well. They look lovely in smaller bouquets, and come in a variety of nice colors. Kat

• phylrae
    16 years ago

Kristin,
    The best dark wine/purply Austin we have grown is William Shakespeare 2000. We are putting in two more next month. You are probably aware that Austins typically shatter kind of quickly, but it is our fav in that color range, and great in bouquets. It will get taller in your zone than it does in ours, but it doesn't have those "octopus legs/arms" that Falstaff and Othello do. We are going to move our two Intrigue roses to the back or side yard (similar color), because, while they are breathtaking and smell wonderful, they are not as floriferous!
    I don't know if you can find Wm. Shakespeare 2000 locally, but it would be worthwhile if you could!

Have fun! :0) Phyl

• triple_b
    16 years ago

As far as Austins go, Fair Bianca is supposed to last better than most. It is white but has subtle tone variations depending on weather conditions etc. If you REALLY want to got to town, here is a link.

there is a tab on top for 'advanced search' where you can look for specifics. Have fun. Better order pizza for dinner because you may be there for a while, it is addictive.

Here is a link that might be useful: help me find roses.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

That is one dangerous site, lol. Haven't been there for awhile and I think I'd better stay away for now! But man that link is tempting, lol.

:)
    Dee

• triple_b
    16 years ago

bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha

• peachiekean
    15 years ago

Your best bet for a light color cutting rose would be Irish Hope (pale, creamy yellow, blooms in clusters allowing for a large bouquet with just a few stems and this rose with its glossy green leaves is in my garden completely thornless. I got my from Heirloom Roses. A true winner!
    {{gwi:621630}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Irish Hope

• girlndocs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all! I decided I was nuts thinking of ordering another rose when I have several I'm swapping or selling away. But someday I'll have my ducks in a row and plant at least one rose for cutting.

I LOVE Fair Bianca, especially. Love it.

Kristin

• triple_b
    15 years ago

before you go making any purchases, check the rose and antique rose forum. Different roses perform differently depending on the zone and overall climate. Some like it a bit cooler, some like it dryer and some enjoy the steamy south. Post your criterea you are seeking and your microclimate and they will point you in the right direction.

Sponsored