Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you use hot buscuits anyway ......

Posted by misskitty_blooming 7 S. Oregon (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 6, 06 at 23:56

I have looked at pictures of hot buscuits, and I do not see how it is possible to use such an ENORMOUS plant in any bouquet, save a 4' number for the local hotel. How do you use this plant with sunflowers? When do you harvest it for reasonable sized bouquets and which sunflowers are the best for fall use. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you use hot buscuits anyway ......

I had problems using both Hot Biscuits and Oppoeo for that reason. For me the plants were about 7 or 8 feet tall. I was able to use some of the smaller side shoots but the main stem was way too large. This year I will try pinching them to get mor ebranching and hopefully smaller flowers.
Kirk

o

A friend mailed me this site. I am going to try a couple arrangements like that in the picture:

Here is a link that might be useful: Amaranthus

o

pitimpinai - thanks for the link - what a gorgeous arrangement - urns are great for drooping flowers.

Linda

o

Thanks so much for the site. What a beautiful arrangement. OK, I'll try some of the varieties listed but I still think Hot Buscuits is too big for me. Thanks again. Kat

o
RE: How do you use Hot Biscuits anyway ......

This reminds me that every season we always have a few customers who comment on our sunflowers, and say,
"I'd buy a bunch; however, they're too tall for my vase."

Either pinch the Hot Biscuits early on, or cut the main section about 24" and you'll have several nice lateral stems for your bouquets.

Trish

o

Yes, pinching the Hot Biscuits will give you more smaller branches. Let them get a little growth and almost send up the central bud, then head them off.

I pinched a couple too small last year --when it was terribly dry-- and they couldn't get much length to the side branches.

o

"I'd buy a bunch; however, they're too tall for my vase."

If only I had a dollar every time a customer said that to me when I was a florist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here