Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soda Cooler as Floral Cooler ?

Posted by springvillegardens Zone 9 CA (My Page) on
Wed, May 17, 06 at 1:52

Hello,

I was wondering if one of those soda coolers you see at mini-marts could be utilized as a fresh flower arrangement cooler? The ones you see that have a single or double clear glass door that opens or slides and you reach and get your soda, milk, etc. They don't freeze the drinks - so I thought it would be comparable to a floral cooler - but less expensive. Since I have been looking for a used cooler - it seems when checking out the ads if you add the name floral to it - the cost goes up. But if you are purchasing a soda cooler the cost seems to be less expensive. Any thoughts?

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soda Cooler as Floral Cooler ?

Linda,
No expert here but I think one difference is that floral coolers maintain high humidity and other coolers maintain low humidity. I use a fridge for for storing things and it works well but I keep things wrapped or covered so they don't dry out.
Kirk

o

Dear Kirk,

I didn't even think about the humidity - no wonder there is a price difference. I do have an old frig I can use, but I wanted a small cooler with a clear door for inside my little gift shop where I could keep arrangements and they could be seen by customers - I might have to wrap them with saran wrap or something - if I get one. I thought about one of those wine coolers but they are expensive and usually very small - I never see used floral coolers - I might just try calling some florists and see if any have small ones for sale.

Thank you so much.

Linda

o

Hey Linda
I see that this is an old post, so this information may be getting out to deaf eers :-)

Well here goes.
Floral cooling is much more complex than you would think.
Using any other cooling device than one created for flowers would ruin your flowers

1. Humidity is one thing, to high and the flowers will get condensation and rot.
Too low humidity and they will dry and wither.
2. Cooling is about getting the temperature down to 2-5 degrees celcius. But doing so must be with low velocity air otherwise the flowers will dry. A simple soda vending machine is like a fridge and doesnt use much air cooling making it impossible to reach low temperatures, that is unless its a closed one.
But you can get an open floral cooling display that suits needs perfect. I know this because it is my job.

Try checking www.floratech.net or the company i work for Floratecheurope.com (same company different location)

Best of luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Floratecheurope

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here