Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to cut-list?

Posted by marthacr z5 Me (My Page) on
Mon, May 30, 11 at 5:39

Does anyone have a list or a link to one of which plants are best cut the night before and those the morning of your farmer's market?
I'm trying to streamline my cutting a bit. I have a new market that wants my bouquets earlier than before. I'd like to cut some the night before and want to know which ones to cut the night before and which the morning of. I believe that the shrub cuts are better off the night before and set in a cool place overnight. But anything else? What about apple mint? I find it sometimes wilts in my morning cut bouquets.

Thanks,
Martha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to cut-list?

I'd like to know who has time to cut the morning of a farmer's market ???? Sorry but I got a little laugh out of your post..... Martha.

Don't know anything about apple mint. Seems to me that if your cutting it the morning and it wilts, maybe you should try cutting it in the evening and see how it holds up the following day after it's fully hydrated.
Cheers Kim - BFFF.

o

Glad to add some humor to your day. I have only a small garden and thus can pick and make bouquets, kale and berries in 2-3 hours and deliver to a market that sells for me by 8 AM. I like to pick the same day and be able to sell as fresh as possible.

o

Hi Martha,

I am not familiar with apple mint, but I will second Kim's suggestion of cutting the evening before and letting it condition/hydrate, if you are having problems with wilting.

My routine is usually to cut the evening before, let my cuts condition in my refrigerators, or if those are full, in the coolest place I can find (which sometimes is my air-conditioned bedroom. My husband complains that he feels likes he's sleeping in a funeral home, but I am more concerned, as I lay in bed, about any stray spiders or worse that may have come in with the flowers!) Then I'm up early to make bouquets and off to the market.

Many (most?) flowers do better with that hydrating time as opposed to being cut and whisked off to market. Don't know if there is a list floating around somewhere. That would be helpful.

Dee

o

Since we also have full-time jobs in addition to a small greenhouse business and are vendors at our local FM, we really don't have a lot of extra time, so we cut the morning before our FM and condition them overnight in luke-warm water and hold the flowers in our dark, cool, more humid cellar. We cut ALL our cutflowers that way and we have not seen any difference in staying power and we usually sell out. There may be some flowers that could be cut at different times or condition differently, but we haven't seen any difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here