Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fundybayfarm

My First Subscription!

Fundybayfarm
18 years ago

Hello All,

After my whining about delivering free bouquets with no results, I went to pick up my vase at the bank, and they ordered a 8 week subscription! Yee ha! I also have a birthday bouquet to do for Monday. And best of all, the bank asked for more of my cards. I realize one order isn't anything to brag about, but it's certainly a start, and a very busy place to have my flowers, so I'm excited, and also encouraged. Now where did I put that fall tulip catalog.

Cheryl

Comments (9)

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

WHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEE. Way to go! You are on your way and now people will see them at the bank and want their own!

• sgiesler
    18 years ago

Congratulations! I think an 8 week subscription from a bank is a very impressive way to start. Maybe if the flowers generate lots of comments the bank will order more than one boquet a week. There are probably lots of offices in a bank that could use flowers. I see lots of referrals coming in too. I think you are going to do great! Shirley

• susiq
    18 years ago

Hooray! I'm so proud for you!

But I must have missed or forgotten the part about taking them a free bouquet! That must have taken some GUTS! Whom did you deliver it to? What did you say when showed up with the flowers in your hand? Whom did you talk to to get the contract? How much are you charging, if you're willing to share. I've talked myself out of tons of bank bouquet runs, cause my available day is the first/last day of the month and they'll be too busy, or this quibble or that fear.

Tell us more!

BIG Cyber hugs enroute!

Susi.

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

My experience with banks is that they are run by corporations and no one has the authority to authoize funds for flowers...or so they tell me. You must have a small locally owned bank.

JL

• paulns
    18 years ago

Woohoo Cheryl! I've been rooting for you. We're in similar situations. Instead of thinking 'there is no market for what I have here' we need to think 'there's a great opportunity to develop a market here'. With your experience and dedication you're bound to have more successes.

• randimoore
    18 years ago

Major Congrats Cheryl!! So pleased for you..One thing tends to lead to another, and word of mouth helps too..You're on your way kiddo!

• Fundybayfarm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

GEEEEZZZ, I like this web site. You all are the greatest, thanks for all the encouragement and support. Suzi, I figured I had to do something, nothing much was happening at my flower stand in front of the house, and my husband was giving me those "looks", and saying, "SO how much money are you going to put into this?" (That's why I come here for suport. HA.) So, as someone suggested once, it's better to give them away than to compost them. I put some bouquets together, one for a restaurant here in the village, then a B&B, bank, dentist office, doctors office and a pottery shop, which also sells local artists wares. Everyone was very receptive to "Free", and allowed me to put some brochures and my cards next to the vase. The bank is the Royal Bank, one of the largest in Canada, but of course we do live in a village, and that bank is 15 minutes away in a larger town. The tellers were all smiles when I brought in the bouquet. It was slow in there that day, and they all came over to talk to me about the flowers. The lady that would make the decision about ordering was on vacation, (of course) but they took my brochure and asked for cards. I guess they had soo many comments on the flowers that when I picked up the vase the following week, they said they wanted an 8 week subscription and to bring them a bill for the total amount and they'd pay right away. They also said not to worry if there was a lull in between weeks, just that they wanted 8 bouquets. Nobody else ordered a subscription that I delivered too, but as the tourist season picks up, and more people see the flowers in the bank, some may change their mind. There are 3 banks in town, so I'll try the others too. Or at least one more of them. I'm also thinking about trying another doctors office, and maybe some lawyers. The good thing is, all these businesses have to go to the bank, where they'll see the flowers, so I definitely think banks are worth a try. I charge $20.00 a week for a subscription, and $25.00 for occassional bouquets. That includes tax and delivery. I will deliver on Mondays. I work in that town anyway doing my gardening, so I'll make the most out of the drive in. I have a big sign out in front of my house now, and someone stopped in yesterday to buy a bouquet to take to a friend in the hospital. I'm hoping things will continue to pick up, now I just worry about getting my glads and annuals planted. We have only had 6 days of sun this entire month, and tons of rain. I can't plant until it dries out a bit. But I'm convinced this is going to work, and very excited about that. Thanks to all of you for listening, and best of luck with your season.
    Cheryl

• susiq
    18 years ago

Wonderful Cheryl! Again, I'm so proud of you! Especially your $20.00 a week!

I've been fretting over my aprox. $15.00 per week to my one customer, and you're charging $20.00! Gotta pluck up my nerve and commit to that $15.00! She likes to pay all at once, so, for her, it might be a six-week subscription, which would be, gasp!, $90.00! She can afford it, likes my flowers, but did give me a "look" when I quoted the first $60.00 + tax to her, then she said okay (in a basically happy and committed to the enterprise tone of voice) and wrote the check. I've been thinking I "ought to" go down to $12.50, or $12.00. I'm learning, though, from one of my gardening jobs, how quickly money is "LOST" when you mistakenly lower your rate, and it's money you can never regain.

So, "Courage" to both of us! Holiday tomorrow, work Tuesday, so I'm looking forward to Wednesday and maybe some flower deliveries! Even IF it's the first day of the month & people are busy!

Again, Cyber hugs and congrats, Cheryl! Hooray!

Susi.

• Fundybayfarm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Susi,
    I have to get 20.00 to make it worth my while with the cost of gas at nearly $4.00 per gal., plus we have a 15% tax here. So just figuring in the tax, I'm down to 17.00, then the gas thing. If I get several subscriptions in that town, it will make it better. I would suggest that you stick with what you feel is a fair price, after all, the flowers are delivered to their door, and after looking at the prices of flowers that came on a brochure from Sears, in my last bill, I feel we're a real bargain. Good luck!
    Cheryl

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?