Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sassyo_gw

holding peony buds till Memorial Day

sassyo
18 years ago

I have forgotten the process for holding peony buds till Memorial Day. Can anyone help me out? Thanks, sassyo

Comments (10)

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

Cut them in marshmallow stage, wrap loosely in plastic wrap, on their sides, put on fridge shelf flat on their sides. When ready to bloom them, get out of fridge, trim off end of stem, put in at least 8" warmish water in a bright place but out of the sun.

Jeanne

• sassyo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for your help,sassyo

• Pam_OH
    18 years ago

Good morning!
    I have been so excited to try this with my peonies.
    Mine started budding out about a week and a half ago. I started cutting them at what I think is "marshmallow stage." I have been putting them in my fridge in the basement in anticipation of our market that was supposed to start the beginning of next week. It won't start now till the middle of June . My question is just how long will peonies hold in the fridge and still be good? I have a lot of peony buds on hold.
    Pam

• sassyo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I cut peonies several weeks before memorial day... at the marshmallow stage , dipped their stem in hot candle wax and wrapped them all up in saran wrap. I took them out on saturday and they started to open within hours. I made a note to wait till the night before I need them next time. not sure how much longer they would have held...they looked fine.

• anniew
    18 years ago

No one seemed to answer the peony question on price on another thread. Could some of you give retail prices for them? Mine are starting to "pop" and market is tomorrow. Thanks for any help...Ann

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

I think we did answer the pricing question, Ann.

As far as the hot candle wax and saran wrap -- It isn't necessary. They will be fine in your fridge, Pam, until mid-June. No peeking.
    You will be tempted to check on them though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pricing on Peonies

• anniew
    18 years ago

thanks for the link, flowerfarmer...Ann

• Pam_OH
    18 years ago

Thanks Flowerfarmer and Sassyo for your replies.
    I did wrap in saran wrap, but had never heard of the wax. I do keep checking (oops!) and they look good. Market is the 14th so hopefully they will be ok. This is the first year holding them this way so next year I will be experienced! (somewhat) :)
    Pam

• honeybunny442
    18 years ago

OK, I'll bite. What is marshmallow stage??
    Susan

• Pam_OH
    18 years ago

Honeybunny442,
    That's what I asked when I first heard the term. I didn't have anyone to show me, so I went to my cupboard and got out the marshmallows (not the stale ones) and I squeezed one and then I went out to the peonies and kept feeling the buds. They were real hard at first but over the days they started getting softer. Sometimes if they weren't soft in the morning they would be by afternoon or evening so I checked them several times a day. When they got soft but petals not yet lifting up that is what I figured was the "marshmallow stage" and the right time to pick them to hold them in the fridge.
    Of course this is my first year so I hope that I did it right.
    Pam

Sponsored