Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherrym_gw

Newbie question about posting prices

sherrym
18 years ago

I've read on some of your postings that you include the sale price and plant identification tags with your flowers. I did that, at first, but another vendor at our farmer's market, a plant seller, advised against it.

He said: "If you don't put the prices up, people will have to stop and talk with you. Once you get them into a conversation, you can SELL them something."

I tried this method, and it seems to work. But, I have to wonder: Am I missing sales because prices/ID tags are lacking?

I'd really appreciate your opinions on this.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice on this forum. I have learned SO much(like the tulip fire discussion - I thought I did something wrong!). You guys are great!!

Comments (6)

• anniew
    18 years ago

Some people just won't stop at all if they don't see a price...Ann

• trianglejohn
    18 years ago

At our market if it is priced it means the price is firm (somewhat), if it is unmarked you get to haggle over the price. I don't like to negotiate every little thing so I post my prices. At least this way they have a starting point to begin with, and they see what I think my plants are worth. It never fails that when I have one customer another will come up with questions about prices. By posting prices it slows down the interuptions.

• GrassIsEvil
    18 years ago

I rarely sell my flowers from a stall, so my opinion is largely based upon the customer's point of view.

I think posted prices makes for a more professional appearance. Additionally, most people can't keep more than two or three prices in their heads. Some will ask a second time (which takes more of your time); many won't ask and they'll just move on from that particular bouquet.

I don't think forcing a customer to ask the price is an effective sales technique, but that's just my opinion. More importantly, if you have two or three customers, and they're all asking prices, you'll be so busy quoting prices, you can't talk about the flowers. If you're talking to me about vase life and you have to break off to answer another customer's question about something so elementary as a price, you've lost me.

As a customer, I seldom go into booths without prices because I assume (and, yes, I know that's wrong) that the vendor will vary the asking price according to what he/she thinks I will pay. I automatically haggle, because the price must be negotiable or else it be posted.

I don't stop at stalls without prices unless I have a good idea of what the market price is, for instance, for produce, cutflowers. I may mention this during the haggling and I really don't care that other customers overhear. (Quoting one of Bryan's costs analyses as to how much that flower actually cost to grow would be an effective bargaining technique, don't you think?) I will be most happy to bargain you down below the fair price because I think if you're going to play the game, you have to pay the price. If I can't haggle you down, I'm not going to buy because if I don't buy, you can't win.

So I think prices should be posted. Those customers you got because they asked prices--think about the situation. Was there no other opportunity for opening a conversation?

Ray

• sherrym
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much!

I followed your advice and put up signs for pricing today.

I sold everything I took to the market! It was encouraging!

Thanks for your help!

• anniew
    18 years ago

Good for you. Hope you sell out every week...it is such a great feeling...oh, and by the way, did the vendor who suggested you not put signs up have anything to say...maybe he was sabotaging you!!! Ann

• paveggie
    18 years ago

Well done. I with Ray about not stopping where no prices are indicated -- am not by nature a bargainer and that's hard to overcome. Have always posted my prices, which I think are reasonable, and rarely have someone try to get the price down. Even have had customers tell me the stuff looks nice and I should charge more -- sometimes I do that next time 'round!

Sponsored