Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trovesoftrilliums

Fall sown annuals zone 5

trovesoftrilliums
12 years ago

In the fall there were some discussions about fall sown larkspur and just wanted to give a quick update on how my plants are doing.

Fall sown larkspur (QIS mix) and Ocean Pearls (Agrostemma githago)from Geoseed direct sown in fall 2010 are up and budding nicely. I didn't keep real good track of germination rates, but I am pleased with the seeding density in the rows I tried--larkspur it possibly even too close. They germinated in the fall despite the warm dry weather and carried on through the winter with spotty snow coverage as little rosettes. Definitely looking forward to them blooming.

Early this spring I direct sowed some of these also and the spring sown ones are only about 2 inches tall.

Anyone know of other plants suited for fall sowing in zone 5?

I wonder if snapdragon seedlings can over winter also. I had expected my snaps to be much larger by now, but they are only a few inches tall. Hope they don't fizzle out too early when it gets hot.

I'm new to zone 5 growing and I find it interesting to balance cool weather crops with warm weather crops.

thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living