Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall sown annuals zone 5

Posted by trovesoftrilliums none (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 10:59

In the fall there were some discussions about fall sown larkspur and just wanted to give a quick update on how my plants are doing.

Fall sown larkspur (QIS mix) and Ocean Pearls (Agrostemma githago)from Geoseed direct sown in fall 2010 are up and budding nicely. I didn't keep real good track of germination rates, but I am pleased with the seeding density in the rows I tried--larkspur it possibly even too close. They germinated in the fall despite the warm dry weather and carried on through the winter with spotty snow coverage as little rosettes. Definitely looking forward to them blooming.

Early this spring I direct sowed some of these also and the spring sown ones are only about 2 inches tall.

Anyone know of other plants suited for fall sowing in zone 5?
I wonder if snapdragon seedlings can over winter also. I had expected my snaps to be much larger by now, but they are only a few inches tall. Hope they don't fizzle out too early when it gets hot.

I'm new to zone 5 growing and I find it interesting to balance cool weather crops with warm weather crops.
thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall sown annuals zone 5

I've found that bachelor buttons (centaurea cyanus) are great to start in the fall. Mine from last fall are currently the tallest plants in my garden, including perennials (not including tulips).

I wish I had your luck (or skill) with larkspur. My fall-sown ones almost all froze and I have exactly zero from my spring planting. Clearly I don't know what I'm doing there.

ThinMan

o

Try fall sowing some Bupleurum. I grew some last year and it self sowed in several places and came up very early around the beginning of March. The biggest plants are now around 3.5 feet tall and starting to bloom now just a week after my last frost date. I also sowed Bupleurum seed this spring (on March 5th) but it is only about 4 inches tall, it's a pretty amazing contrast between the two.

If you haven't grown Bupleurum before, give it a try. It's a nice neutral filler with chartreuse flowers.

o

My fall sown plants that are doing well include orlaya (in full bloom) bells of Ireland, euphorbia, cerinthe, and even some self sown cosmos. I hope to experiment more next year.

Teresa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here