Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting Zinnia's to vase

Posted by Lady9 OR (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 11:44

I have a few basic questions that I could not find information about Zinnia's. I'm not positive on the variety I have.

Can you cut a flower with a off shoot with an unbloomed flower on it and vase it? Will it bloom in a vase?

If I cut Zinnia's to place in a vase, where do I cut? How far up from the soil do I cut? I see that my Zinnia's are pretty much singular stalks with maybe a small shoot with one that is getting ready to bloom. I could only find clear information on dead-heading them but not cutting them to vase. Can someone please give me some clear instructions? I'm very new and nervous about cutting what seems to be the whole section of the plant!

Thank you!
Nicci

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting Zinnia's to vase

Bumping this up! I'd love to know the answer, too!

o
RE: Cutting Zinnia's to vase

Well most of my zinnias have off shoots or areas where there looks like another growth shoot would form out and grow another flower out. I cut mine off about two leafs sets down or to where you would see a new set of leaf shoots coming off the stem, because you should probably get new flowers from that point. If you only have a single stem zinnia, I would say cut down stem to leave two sets at the very least one set of leaves left on the plant to see if it branches and buds out from there. If you find u have a short variety, say cut and come again, every time you cut your flowers, you should get more flowers and get shoots coming off the plant for more flowers. Hope this helps?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here