Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zinnias last until October + Best method for cutting

Posted by dzr4 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 11:44

All the articles on how to make Zinnias keep their bloom simply say to deadhead them but when I read about deadheading zinnias there seems to be several different methods.

My number 1 goal is to have cut zinnias for my wedding in October.

I'm wondering the best way to keep zinnias blooming and the best way to dead head them to have long stems for cutting.

Where on the stem to cut? High close to the flower or lower?

When to cut - do I have to wait for the flowers to start fading or can I cut sooner? I would love to have vases of flowers all summer but that's not a priority.

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zinnias last until October + Best method for cutting

Just as an example I've added a link to: not the tallest but also not the shortest of my zinnias. On this one the stem is about 3 or 4 inches from flower to first set of leaves. Normally I would cut so I could put it in a vase but I do want the stems to be longer.

Photo: http://i46.tinypic.com/alnhvc.jpg

These are the types I'm growing:

MAGELLAN CORAL
MAGELLAN IVORY
BENARY'S GIANT SALMON ROSE
BENARY'S GIANT WHITE
ZINNIA, QUEEN RED LIME

thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a photo of one of my zinnias

o
RE: Zinnias last until October + Best method for cutting

If your zinnias are already that big, they will probably be pretty tired and run down by October, and I don't think you can count on them to be producing very well. Down in Zone 7, they will probably age faster than up here.

What you need to do is plant your seeds 90 days before your wedding. I've found that here in Michigan 90 days of growing puts them right at the peak of production. Some will bloom earlier and some will bloom later, so you have a safety margin there, if the weather gets ornery.

As far as when to cut, I like to cut just before the little yellow star-shaped pollen bodies show up, or maybe when they first appear. If you cut them a day or two before your wedding, they will last just fine, no matter what stage you cut them at. Cut them low. The stems will be nice and long then and the plant will branch out and give you new stems.

Good luck with your wedding.

ThinMan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here