Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pam_oh

Hello!

Pam_OH
18 years ago

I live in Ohio on the border with Wheeling, WV.

I have been lurking here since 2001. And only posted once thanking everyone for all the information they had shared that helped me grow flowers for my daughters wedding in 2002. (I had to access the wayback machine to find that old message!)

I started reading the posts here about the time Cathy (Clink) started her thread about starting a cutting garden. I still get excited when I see that old thread resurface.

I wanted to say how much I appreciate those that have been able to share pictures of their bouquets. I am challenged in the bouquet making department and have been printing off pictures of bouquets making an "Inspiration Bouquets" notebook which has been very helpful to me.

After my daughters wedding in '02 I had lots of flowers still blooming and gave lots away to neighbors and friends and church and relatives. I set some flowers out in front of my house once to see if anyone would be interested and they sold!

I have only been giving them away these last few years trying to build up my supply and this will be the first year I will take them to a farmers market.

I'm so nervous and excited!

Thanks again to everyone!

Pam

Comments (7)

• Josh
    18 years ago

Pam, What a lovely story! I too have been around here since the early days and enjoyed Cathy's story and success, and many others I think have benefitted from all the knowledge and enthusiasm shared here. May I be the first to wish you the very best with your new endeavor! And please don't wait so long between posts. Those of us who mostly lurk, peeking over the back garden fence, and can only grow enough for ourselves and friends are interested (and envious) of you all and we want to hear how you're doing. Best wishes! josh

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Welcome Pam OH! I'll be the second to congratulate you and look forward to hearing of your adventures into the venture land of flower selling.

That link that chronicles Clink's arrival on the cut flower market scene is just tops! I read the whole thing like a best selling novel way back when and didn't even realize it covered a couple years until the very end. Way to Go C Link!! Your successes are inspiring the masses : )

Let us know how it's going Pam OH.

• Miss EFF
    18 years ago

You guys are so nice! I've been lucky. Jan and Cathy both know there is still alot of work to do! Like weed control!

We are studying doing the wedding thing --- building a barn and doing weddings in the gardens. Currently trying to add to our property for next year -- I'll let you know how those negotiations turn out. It will be a while.

The U-pick flower idea is still a tough sell in the midwest. It would have definitely been easier with a U-pick strawbery patch or pumpkins. Adding some wholesale to florists will be a big help this year. And I'm working hard to make sure everything on the property screams "Flowers". So more annuals than ever --tucked in every corner of the perennial bed.

Just finished up having a new logo designed --- should have a new sign by the end of June. It's always something.

I should update the thread one of these days --- if you guys are still interested. Good luck to each and every one of you. It is the best life I could ever dream of --sunburn and frost-bite included and all in the same week!!!!! Welcome to the midwest!

Cathy

• Pam_OH
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Josh and Poochella,
    Thank you for your kind responses! I look forward to finally talking to all of you instead of just listening in.

>

Cathy,
    Oh my gosh! Yes! I have been so excited for you! I know you are very busy as we all are and I always appreciate you taking time to update!
    And if you are able please post some pics someday for us. I know I have envisioned your layout many times in my mind's eye.
    Pam

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

Wooops, looks like I forgot to hit "Send" on my welcome letter yesterday. I do that a lot, LOL. So anyhow , welcome and come on in....glad to get to know you!

Liza

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

Cathy, are you kidding? OF COURSE I'm still interested! An update would be lovely.

Pam, welcome! Making the jump from growing cutting flowers that you give away to flowers you sell is exciting and scary. The learning curve the first year is pretty steep, but it gets better. It never goes away completely, though, which is what keeps growing flowers interesting.

Jeanne

• goshawker
    18 years ago

Pam,

Let me say good luck as well. I stumbled into this cut flower business thingy 3 years ago and the people on this forum have helped me in so many ways. I knew native plants and knew absolutely nothing about cut flowers when I jumped in. I have gained more knowledge here than anywhere else. You get advice from people who have graduated from the school of hard knocks, they just go for their Masters indefinatley, so as to have even more advice.

Ask any and all questions. The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Best to you,

Steve

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor