Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is it to late?

Posted by DapperDahlia z6 Pa (My Page) on
Tue, May 24, 05 at 11:59

Is it to late to plant daylillies and glads that i have ordered??? i am going to plow up the zinnias that arent growing and plant something else...also are they good cut flowers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is it to late?

Not too late at all for dahlias - as soon as I get off the computer I'm going to go plant another few hundred. They are first-class cut flowers, especially the ones with medium to small flowers. Some types, like singles and collarettes, aren't as good for cutting. Vase life varies between cultivars, but usually runs about 4-7 days.
We've seeded lots of zinnias, too, and at this stage of the game don't expect most varieties to be doing too much. They sprout, but don't start growing strongly until the weather is consistently warm.
Chris

o

Chris, what part of Canada is in zone 8? Just wondered.

o

I haven't even seeded my zinnias or cosmos yet...I've learned to wait until its consistently warm...as stated above!

Wendy

o

My guilty conscience knew I had to be planting more dahlias instead of sitting in front of the computer, so I read "dahlias" instead of "daylilies." Oops! Blueheron, we live in the beatiful Fraser Valley, just about on the edge of the Greater Vancouver area. The city of Victoria, on Vancouver Island, is even a bit warmer than we are. The ocean and the usual cloud cover in winter keep us relatively warm, but our springs are long and cool.
Chris

o

Daylilies don't make a good cut flower, they don't last, and they probably won't bloom for you if you plant them now-- but they'll bloom next year! they're worth growing even if they don't make good cuts (they have no vase life). Glads, you can probably plant now and get flowers in late summer, no problem.

Kristen (who just finished glad-planting a week ago)

o

So what did DapperDahlia actually plant -- daylilies or dahlias? Inquiring minds want to know.........

o

I can't speak for Dapper, but I'd wager the dahlias are in, and he/she was wondering about daylilies and glads at this point.

I have used daylilies as a cut; with a big stems full of buds and I warned the recipient that only one will open at a time, then needs to be plucked off. It keeps them involved with the flowers and I've never had a complaint ( to my face.) I had hundreds of one type of yellow dahlia with bronze tips, the only thing I had open to go with it were deep rust daylilies and it turned out to be a striking combination.

o

Hehe yeah i (which is a she) planted dahlias weeks and weeks ago. I need to till and hoe later this afternoon red root is killing me. I ordered glads and i think that the company (Michigan Bulb) wont send them until fall or spring so thats a bust for this year but oh well. Thanks guys!

o

What is coming is 50 gladiolas....aka glads, and i was wondering if i can still plant them and if i dont plant them is they will last till next year?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here