Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dapperdahlia

is it to late?

DapperDahlia
18 years ago

Is it to late to plant daylillies and glads that i have ordered??? i am going to plow up the zinnias that arent growing and plant something else...also are they good cut flowers?

Comments (9)

• chris_canada
    18 years ago

Not too late at all for dahlias - as soon as I get off the computer I'm going to go plant another few hundred. They are first-class cut flowers, especially the ones with medium to small flowers. Some types, like singles and collarettes, aren't as good for cutting. Vase life varies between cultivars, but usually runs about 4-7 days.
    We've seeded lots of zinnias, too, and at this stage of the game don't expect most varieties to be doing too much. They sprout, but don't start growing strongly until the weather is consistently warm.
    Chris

• blueheron
    18 years ago

Chris, what part of Canada is in zone 8? Just wondered.

• flowers4u
    18 years ago

I haven't even seeded my zinnias or cosmos yet...I've learned to wait until its consistently warm...as stated above!

Wendy

• chris_canada
    18 years ago

My guilty conscience knew I had to be planting more dahlias instead of sitting in front of the computer, so I read "dahlias" instead of "daylilies." Oops! Blueheron, we live in the beatiful Fraser Valley, just about on the edge of the Greater Vancouver area. The city of Victoria, on Vancouver Island, is even a bit warmer than we are. The ocean and the usual cloud cover in winter keep us relatively warm, but our springs are long and cool.
    Chris

• kristenmarie
    18 years ago

Daylilies don't make a good cut flower, they don't last, and they probably won't bloom for you if you plant them now-- but they'll bloom next year! they're worth growing even if they don't make good cuts (they have no vase life). Glads, you can probably plant now and get flowers in late summer, no problem.

Kristen (who just finished glad-planting a week ago)

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

So what did DapperDahlia actually plant -- daylilies or dahlias? Inquiring minds want to know.........

• Poochella
    18 years ago

I can't speak for Dapper, but I'd wager the dahlias are in, and he/she was wondering about daylilies and glads at this point.

I have used daylilies as a cut; with a big stems full of buds and I warned the recipient that only one will open at a time, then needs to be plucked off. It keeps them involved with the flowers and I've never had a complaint ( to my face.) I had hundreds of one type of yellow dahlia with bronze tips, the only thing I had open to go with it were deep rust daylilies and it turned out to be a striking combination.

• DapperDahlia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hehe yeah i (which is a she) planted dahlias weeks and weeks ago. I need to till and hoe later this afternoon red root is killing me. I ordered glads and i think that the company (Michigan Bulb) wont send them until fall or spring so thats a bust for this year but oh well. Thanks guys!

• DapperDahlia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

What is coming is 50 gladiolas....aka glads, and i was wondering if i can still plant them and if i dont plant them is they will last till next year?

Sponsored