Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don't Got the Blues......But Need 'Em

Posted by harveyspooka (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 07 at 12:12

Hi Everyone. I read here every day and find tons of very good information in the archives. This will be my second season selling flowers at our local Farmers' Market. I have been approached by a friend who owns a nursery to supply her with fresh cut flowers as she would like to try selling them. She is in a fantastic location that gets tons of traffic and I have been present in her nursery on more than one occasion when a customer comes in and asks whether she sells fresh cut bouquets. This is a great opportunity for me and I want to do it up right. She has been very specific regarding what she wants and I feel I can accommodate her needs.

Here's the clincher.....she wants red, white and blue bouquets to stock for July 4th and Labor day sales. My problem is finding blue flowers that make good cuts. I've spent some time researching on the web and found plenty of blues but I don't find info regarding whether or not they make good cuts.

Can you suggest something for me? Also, what flower food is best to use and/or include with these bouquets?

Thank you for any help you can give.

HarveysPooka

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don't Got the Blues......But Need 'Em

Bachelors Buttons make good cuts (cornflowers). Have some in my cutting garden but they are still tiny seedlings.

o

HarveysPooka, I like Campanula(2nd), Cornflower (7th), Delpinium (1st), Echinpos(3rd), Larkspur (6th), Statice (4th), and Veronica (5th)

Bryan

o

• Posted by pitt IN-Zone5 (My Page) on
    Mon, May 7, 07 at 11:53

I sold simple red/white/blue bouquets July 4 weekend last year. I used Blue Horison ageratum with anything red and used white filler. I put a piece of red (with gold trim) ribbon on the vase and sold the 20 bouquets I had and could have sold more. I charged $7 in the sleeve and $9 with vase. I am looking forward to doing the same this year. Good luck!

o

Do you have access to hydrangeas? We use blue hydrangeas, red and white zinnias. If you could find some inexpensive flags to tuck in, that would be cute too. We even had some boquets with bottle rockets in them one time.

o

Salvia farinacae (Blue Bedder or Victoria) is excellent cut. Am not sure if you will have them bloom for 4th of July. Depends on your location and whether you have hoop house, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here