Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone grow thimbleweed?

Posted by PAveggie z5-6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 8, 05 at 12:36

When moved to a new house, found a clump of thimbleweed (Anemone virginia or A. cylindrica pictured in National Audubon Field Guide of NA Wildflowers) growing beside a flower bed the first spring. Not knowing what it was at the time, I carefully kept all the seed pods trimmed out the first season. In the process, discovered that they make an interesting green "cut" mixed in with market bouquets. Flowers don't hold up. Guide says 2-3' but with some extra moisture last year they were closer to 4 or more.

Plant is perennial but I saw no volunteers at first. (There are a few other thin,wild ones in nearby woods.) This spring, however, found several young plants near the original. Have them perking along in the greenhouse to field plant one of these days. Curious if anyone has used these?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone grow thimbleweed??

Apparently not; I'm adding this to get it moving down the list. Seed planted in GH was very slow, but eventually came up nicely.

o
RE: Anyone grow thimbleweed?

Kinda new to the site but saw your post. I've got thimbleweed growing near my house and have thought about growing some myself. Can you help me with any observations about transplanting or seed collection and growth?

o
RE: Anyone grow thimbleweed?

Soufulbliss -- just saw your posting. Will e-mail you privately with observations. Have found the plant to be pretty carefree. I just harvested one mature seed head at the end of the season. There was quite a lot of seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here