Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anybody grow red lupine 'My Castle'?

Posted by Jeanne_in_Idaho z5 N.Idaho (My Page) on
Fri, May 27, 05 at 13:40

I have a plant of this that is a couple of years old. It has gotten big in the wrong way! It sort of spreads out laterally, with lots of foliage but no flowers. It would be a nice, shortish (maybe 10 inches tall) foliage plant, but I had flowers in mind, for cutting. None of the leaves get very big, but there are a lot of them crowded together. No sign of a flower stalk. The plant is at least twice as wide as it is tall. Anybody know if this is normal behavior for this variety, and/or how tall it blooms, if it ever blooms?

Jeanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anybody grow red lupine 'My Castle'?

Sorry Jeanne, I've never heard of that one. I planted the Russell mix last year. A red lupin sure would be gorgeous though. Where did you get the seed? By the way, thanks for listing the tulip varieties for me. It's much appreciated.
Cheryl

o

You're welcome.
I didn't grow the lupine from seed, but bought two bareroot plants at the Seattle flower and garden show last year. One of them didn't survive the winter. I think it's a specific color of Russell's but I'm not sure. I also think Germania might have the individual flower color seeds, but once again, I'm not sure. I don't remember whether there was a photo on the package, but I've seen photos of it before, somewhere.

Jeanne

o

Jeanne,

Ivy Garth seeds sells individual Russell Lupine colors. I've had very good success with their seeds, but the quantity is often more than I need. The Lupines sprout well and seem fairly easy to grow on. I love the flowers because they are so dramatic and they refrigerate well so I can use almost all the production at our once a week market.

o

I just found 'My Castle Red Russell' Red lupine in the Fedco Seed Catalog. I was searching to see what it looked like and that's how I got to this forum. Just thought I'd share my seed source!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/search.php?item=6184&search=My Castle Red Russell

o

I grew these from seed in 2009, and got flowers this summer. I did not cut any, though. They were too beautiful to sell! Next year I will, though. Lupine are particular with their soil requirements- they like crappy acidic soil, lol! I had an area that was an old driveway gravel that had grown over, right on the edge of my yard by the road. I added half a bucket of compost and they did really well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here