Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flower preservative - yes or no?

Posted by tellme (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 05 at 13:40

Zinnias don't do well in preservative? It is wasted on sunflowers? What else would be better off without preservative? I know lilies came under discussion but mine seem to benefit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flower preservative - yes or no?

I use preservative on zinnias, sunflowers and lilies...Ann

o
RE: flower preservative - yes or no?

tellme,

I posted this response to zinnias and preservative solution on April 22:

The only flower we have learned that does not like hydrating solution or preservatives is zinnia. Zinnias don't like sugar. They actually do best in dionized distilled water. The University of North Carolina has done some pretty indepth research on this particular flower. Zinnias are sensitive to boron, which some cities have in their tap water. As far as handing out the preservative packets, customers do appreciate them. We give packets of bulb preservative for bouquets with lilies, glads and dahlias (which are actually tubers). We give the regular preservative for all other bouquets. For, the growers bunches of zinnias we always recommend the distilled water.

As far as the single stem sunflowers such as Sunbright, Pro Cut, Sunny, etc., we don't use preservatives. These sunflowers last so long that we have found it really isn't necessary. We had a bucket left from one of our markets. We set it on a bench in front of our barn in direct sunlight. We never changed the water or did anything to those sunflowers; and, they lasted a good 10 days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here