Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cut flower supplier recs

Posted by backyardgrown 7b NW MS (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 08 at 13:52

I'm opening a flower shop, and I will be growing a large portion of my own materials. However, there are some things I won't be able to grow, and I can't only operate a business during the peak of the growing season and expect to make any money.

I will be able to grow SOMETHING from February on when the earliest tulips begin to bloom until it just absoultely freezes here in December. Although I do have a relatively mild and short winter, I know my limitations and I'm trying to start on a shoestring budget. This summer and fall I will have some really nice zins and sunflowers that I'll be wholesaling to a local florist to get my feet wet, but I would like to be able to quit my full time job within 2 years. Possibly a pipe dream, but a girl's gotta start somewhere!

Here are my requirements:

-Grown in the US, preferably regional to Mississippi. I know this is a long shot.
-Sustainably grown.
-Fair labor practices.

Suggestions are welcome, and if you would like to take it off forum, please feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cut flower supplier recs

Jennifer, I would recommend that you join the ASCFG, that is the Association of Specialty Cut Flower Growers, they are a collective of growers from all over the country as well as being an incredibly knowledgeable bunch of people. Always very willing to help out with any questions and can put you in touch with a broad range of suppliers. Good luck with your business. Kat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here