Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susiq_gw

One of those Murphy's Laws things ....

susiq
18 years ago

Guess what I got to do this weekend? Answer: Watch my husband fight a VERY BAD PNUEMONIA and probable Strep infection in ICU since Friday morning.

He's still in ICU, but DID get his ventilator out this morning, and had been basically breathing on his own the last 24 hours. I came home to rest & do a thousand errands/etc, and have just popped in to say "hi". The hospital is 40 miles away, so this is my first trip home or near a computer.

He's doing well, I think, and just needs to recover. There's some fluid buildup outside of his lungs, which I think they will drain later today. Not sure how much longer he'll be in ICU, at least one more day, maybe more? But at least he's off the ventilator.

How'd he get it? Not sure--some combination of overwork (self imposed), horrifically long hours awake (again, self imposed), and chronic bronchitis/COPD/Asthma/Emphysema all took their toll. Oh yes, and 40 or so years of heavy smoking. There is that!

Anyway, he called me 5 am Friday morning from his job 40 miles away,(same town as hospital) and asked me to call emergency help for him. Glad he did, and I did. We're thinking that his WORST slump were those hours from 5am to 10am when they got him on the ventilator. So far since, he's been stable and improving.

All the kids came in, and his parents (who live in the same town as us), my sister and her husband, and friends from church have brought food and even cash donations to help us in these early days. (INCREDIBLY kind & brings me to tears!) There's a nice guesthouse on the hospital property and we're staying there, then visits aprox every 2 hours. My oldest daughter and my in-laws are staying there this afternoon & tonight while I'm home.

I think we're going to be lucky, that he'll survive. I'm sure he'll be weak & need lots of recovery time, and attention. Hopefully this will be the wakeup call he needs to stop smoking. The doctors are already forming their "You MUST QUIT speech(es)", I'm sure! I took a few pics of him on his cell phone yesterday to show him what he looks like all ventilated and stuff. Maybe that will help too!

Oh yes, my own cell phone fried itself Thursday, and I haven't had time to get it fixed w/ Jesse in the hospital. So, I'm using his, which is just like mine, but I don't know his passcode to get messages, and the cellular signal STINKS at/in/nearby the hospital, so it's REALLY hard to make or get calls from friends and relatives.

I have no idea what this will do to his job, or how long I'll be away from mine, or when/if I have to get a "real" job. He does have insurance, but I'm sure we'll have more than we want of bills to pay.

So, back to my title--this sure as heck qualifies as a Murphy's Law interruption to my tra-la-la world of one more time trying to be a cut flower grower!

I can't decide if I should water things while I'm home right now,(we MIGHT have rain tonight, but they're dry now), or try and sow a few zinnia/sunflower seeds, or take a nap, or hunt down cell-phone repairmen, or any of the other dozen things to do. So of course,I'm writing to my friends on the web, instead! I HAVE hugged on my dogs--we've all been missing each other! And I'll have to go out and get more dogfood for the Great Dane.

Thanks in advance for the prayers and good thoughts you'll send silently or in response to this. I'll be around today and tonight til sometime early tomorrow morning, and then go back to the hospital and no computers--for me. (Nurses & doctors have them, but not patient's families! Bummer!--LOL!)

So, if I don't get you answered, (Valerie, the Co-op idea sounds neat, but I obviously can't consider it, yet....) please know that I DO appreciate your kind words/thoughts/prayers, and they ARE helping. God is Good.

SusiQ

Comments (16)

• goodscents
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Susi,
    Nothing anyone can say really helps at these times but my thoughts are with both of you.
    Kirk

• sherri1
    18 years ago

Susi,

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's illness! I'm very glad to hear that he is improving!! My vote is that you water and then take a nap.

I was wondering about you, I've sent a couple of e-mails to you and was not sure if you've received them. When you get a chance, let me know if you received the picture I sent you.

Keeping you, your husband and your family in my prayers,
    Sherri

• randimoore
    18 years ago

Suzi,
    Odd that I was going to entitle my next missive here: 'What Would Suzi Do?' as I was imagining how I'd get up the gumption to approach some folks at a plant related Chamber of Commerce thing I went to recently...I imagined a 'Suzi' approach to selling some flowers, (I have always enjoyed the wonderful and humourous way you write and can HEAR you speaking in your messages and I've always imagined a spunky Texas twang)...

Anyhoo, I know that that energy will pull you and yours through this tough time..This gal from the Green Mt. State certainly sends you good thoughts for your husband's speedy recovery,
    Randi

• flowers4u
    18 years ago

Suzi - I agree - your spunkiness and humor will help you through this...along with your family, glad they're close and can help you and your husband! My husband's mom has been ill since January (staph infection that cause a disk to rupture - then surgery and recovery). She gets to go home tomorrow, so now we'll all be helping her at her home instead of the care facility.
    Take care and get some rest too!
    Wendy

• GrassIsEvil
    18 years ago

SusiQ,

Have you considered asking the cellphone repairman to the house? A hungry Great Dane can be a real persuader. :)

Holding the good thoughts for you here in Tennessee.

Ray

• rita2004
    18 years ago

Susi,

My prayers are with you and your husband. Remember God only gives you what you can handle. Remember that and it will help you get everything accomplished that has to be done. Hope he gets better fast and maybe it will rain this week so you don't have to water.

Rita

• FlowerPower_NC
    18 years ago

Suzi,

Oh, boy, you've been through it! I'm so glad to hear your husband is off the vent and turning the corner for better. My thoughts will be with you.....we'll have time to rethink that southeastern co-op later!

Many, many cyber-hugs--

Valerie

• Josh
    18 years ago

Mostly just read here...but I too wanted to send best wishes for your husband's full recovery. josh

• anniew
    18 years ago

My thoughts are with you also. Remember your husband, family and even dogs need you more than the flowers, which you can resume whenever. Been there, done that, but always felt good about putting relatives first. Best of luck as your husband recovers...Ann

• goshawker
    18 years ago

Susi,

The way I see it, you beat Murphy by getting your husband in for help. Keep your chin up and keep kicking Murphys butt and your husband will bounce back soon.

Take care and God bless,

Steve

• susiq
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you ALL, SO much!

When my in-person friends call or come to the hospital, they always ask, "And how are YOU?", to which I answer, in tears, "Fine, til YOU showed up!" LOL, of course.

I'm having the same reaction reading your messages, heartfelt and humble tears.

The generosity of forum and in-person friends is amazing. I treasure you all.

That generosity DOESN'T apply to beurocrats! I have a GREAT RozanneRozannadanna story, or maybe it's Emily Latella. Probably more her than Rozanne!

We might have cell phone insurance, but if so, it's buried under 2' of bills husband keeps saying he's working on. As if! So, I wanted to find the phone # of the store where we got the phone, thinking they could help me directly. I went online to find that phone #. Listed is a number for that area code. Turns out it's one of those automated voice things. FINALLY got through to a human (sweet young girl, this isn't her fault), and discover that my husband never signed me up as an authorized user of the phone and phone service we've both had for YEARS! SO!!!!!!!, they can't access our records without his approval. I tell the girl that he's in ICU, and VERY sick. She asks if he could just say his name and the last 4 digits of his social. I tell her "I" can say his name and his last four digits, and besides, not only is he in ICU, he's heavily sedated and CAN'T TALK!!!!!!!

I told her my wish for ALL her superiors was for them to have a loved one in the hospital and then have to face beurocracy run rampant. Not her, of course, she's just the unfortunate messenger.

She puts me on hold again (all this time I'm on a Land-line Long Distance Call because of the stupid phone # thing), and comes back, and says, "Well, we can try to maybe fix your phone while we're talking." And then I say and realize,

"You mean you have to have my phone HERE, while we're talking?"

"Yes."

"It's in my Daughter's car!" and as Emily Latella would say, "Never Mind!".

Well, at least I have an 800 # I can call to try to fix the phone, IF I can get my nerve up!

Just talked to the dr, he said my husband is still disoriented and mostly sedated, but his white blood count is down to nearly normal--11,000 instead of a high of nearly 16,000, --and the fluid outside his lungs is not very much, so they're not going to do anything, yet. He said maybe ICU for the rest of today, and maybe a regular room sometime tomorrow. As the white blood cell count gets closer to normal, hopefully his disorientation will go away. It's still taking 5 nurses to calm him down and get him back lying down when he decides he's "leaving"!

I did water some yesterday, glad I did. Enjoyed the activity even tho it was cold and I was in shorts, and the plants needed it! The rain may come later today or tomorrow, but they needed it then.

Thanks again, all "y'all". I appreciate you enormously.

And Ray, I should've sicced my Great Dane on that cell company--wish I could've!

Susi.

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

Susi,
    So glad to hear your DH is recovering! What an awful thing to go through! Doesn't he know he can't get sick at this time of year....Only from about Nov- Feb!

MAybe he is trying to prove whether you love him more then your flowers....if so , it is mighty dangerous thing to try and prove with a gardener like you!

Hey, I am so glad to hear that he is getting better day by day! Hope the progress keeps moving seadily forward. It will be a great day when he knows where he is and can lie still and heal. Keep your chin up girl, but cry all you want. You deserve that option!

• flowernay
    18 years ago

Sending prayers for his speedy recovery AND the will power to kick the habit!

• honeybunny442
    18 years ago

Hi SusiQ,

Just wanted to say my thoughts are with you and yours and I'm sure things will turn out OK!
    Susan

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

I'm sending all the good thoughts I can come up with your way. Hang in there. If they aren't going to do a tap to get the fluid out, it means there isn't that much in there, and they think it might re-absorb on its own. I doubt very much that the doctors are going to give him a quit-smoking lecture. They are unlikely to have more effect than his own recent experience did, and probably assume he already knows smoking will kill him, since it almost succeeded.

I'm glad to hear he's off the vent. That means there's LOTS of hope. His recovery could be slow, with the respiratory problems he has, but since he was strong enough to get off the ventilator, he is probably strong enough to recover. It's okay to cry. I'm thinking good thoughts for you, and wish you lots of patience, and time. Forget about your garden for now, if you can. It will re-grow, he won't. But, once he is oriented and in a regular room, out of ICU, if he asks for a smoke, I suggest you offer to shoot him! And/or offer to shoot any person who provides a smoke. Yes, of course I don't mean it, I don't think you should really shoot him, but if he smokes, he's killing himself, the long, painful, short-of-breath, in-and-out-of-the-hospital way. He's going to get past the initial stage of cravings while he's still in the hospital, so there was never a better time to quit. Looking death in the eye - which he did - is the strongest possible persuader. If he continues to ask for a smoke, you could remind him, in as much detail as you are aware of, what happened. Then tell him it will happen again, and again, and again. Nicotine is powerfully addictive, but being in and out of the hospital and short of breath much of the time is miserable, no way to live, and a HORRIBLE way to die. I've watched quite a few COPD "frequent flyers" go in and out of ICU their last few years, short of breath all the time (that's awful, you feel panicky ALL THE TIME), then die. I wouldn't wish it on an earwig, and I hope he has the fortitude not to go that way. I hope he will be strong, and that you will, too. And you might want to get rid of all tobacco products in the house BEFORE he goes home. It's a powerful addiction. If he absolutely has to have nicotine, patches can can provide it, without making his lungs worse.

Okay, enough lecturing that you don't need, and I'll just send a heartfelt wish that he will recover quickly (and that you and your garden will, too!)

Jeanne

• GrassIsEvil
    18 years ago

A thought here--why not simply put a male voice on the phone to give the name and ss#? They don't know what he sounds like.

I'm backing Jeanne on this. As soon as he's feeling better and you're up to tackling the issue, we are locked and loaded for the lecture.

Ray

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES