Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflylion_gw

Shastas & Other Daisies?

butterflylion
11 years ago

What are your favorite Shasta daisies and/or other type daisy flowers for cutting? What about the double tyoe Shasta daisies?

Here is a link that might be useful: Double Shasta Daisy Ice Star

Comments (5)

• thinman
    11 years ago

Wow, those Ice Stars are a little pricey, aren't they? They could be worth it, though. A daisy that I really like is Highland White Dream. They were kind of expensive from Bluestone, but I bought 12 of them for $70 in August of '08. Ten of them were still kicking the next spring, and that summer I cut and sold 258 stems from those 10 plants. That fall I divided the plants and had 39 to put back in the ground. The next summer (2010) I cut and sold 978 stems. Last summer I had some health problems and let a flower-seller friend come in and cut what she needed. I didn't keep count, but there were more than she could use. She was amazed by the quantity and by the nice long strong stems and great blooms.

Sadly, the plants became infected with something, and I lost maybe 3/4 of them. I divided the rest and this year I feel almost like I am back where I started. The plants look healthy now, but are not very big yet.

Highland White Dream is said to come from the Becky daisies and if you Google it, you will find a few vendors that carry it (Jung Seeds, for one).

There are, no doubt, other good Shastas out there, but I relly like the Highland White Dream.

Good luck in your search.

ThinMan

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

I too like the Highland White Dream, and bought a few from Bluestone to try out, but I lost them. I don't remember why off the top of my head, but probably due to my neglect. (BTW, White Flower Farm is rather notorious for their high prices - look elsewhere for anything you find on their website, IMO)

I don't grow many daisies because they get devastated by oriental beetles. The flowers are eaten through before they even open and if they do open they are ratty and ugly. Too bad, as daisies are such pretty flowers.

Good luck!
    Dee

• ruthiegarden
    11 years ago

I have had great luck with the Becky daisies. They spread like crazy and I dig them up and move them to different parts of the yard and give them away. Nice big blooms on strong stems.

• onederw
    11 years ago

A couple of years ago I lucked into three forlorn-looking gallon cans of Ice Star at a local nursery. $5.95 each, if I remember rightly. Once they got into the ground, they thrived. Since then I've divided them regularly, and now they populate every corner of the garden. They put on a spectacular show every May and June, with a mini-encore in the fall.
    The most amazing thing, however, is how easy they are to divide. Once you have some, you never have to buy them again. I even give some away every year to our local Plant Bank. And, of course, there isn't a better cut flower anywhere.

• backyardgrown
    11 years ago

I'm partial to the Sheffield Pink. These bloom in the fall here along with all my other fall blooming mums. I planted 12 plants and I really need to divide them. They are prolific to say the least. If you have a problem area you want to fill these are amazing.

{{gwi:622645}}

My May Queen Oxeyes are nice too, blooming around mid-late April. These were started from throwing out a bag of seed from American Meadows and are part of my wildflower area.

{{gwi:622647}}

I have two other varieties, both started from potted plants. One I'm pretty sure is "Becky" and the other might be "Alaska". The shorter one blooms from July until first frost and I have transplanted them to other parts of the garden.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler