Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ugh!

Posted by sgiesler USDA 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 26, 05 at 17:22

I had a big although not very cheap adventure today. I went to a huge tree, shrub and perennial auction. I went underfunded (spontaneous decision to go) because the auction bill said cash, travelers check or business check. I bought 17 dwarf spreading forsythias, 5 Miss Kim lilacs, and 4 red astilbes. The UGH factor was once I got back home I thought I would look up the dwarf spreading forsythias. Wouldn't you know there are several different ones. One doesn't flower or very sparesly if it does at all. I hope that isn't what I got. The auctioneer said it already flowered for the year which is to be expected anyhow. I had no idea that there was more than one kind of forsythia before seeing the dwarf spreading kind and figured it was a new type and wasn't named because there was only one kind. I also was told the Miss Kim Lilacs were colored just like the ordinary purple lilacs (the lighter ones). However, later in the auction there were more and they were sort of white with a purple tinge. They almost looked faded or something. Didn't someone here recommend Miss Kim? Please let me know if you really like yours.

Even though I might have goofed big time and bought when maybe I shouldn't have and didn't when I should have, I can't wait until the next plant auction. There was so many different plants, shrubs and trees going at seemingly good prices. I passed on a lot of things I wish I had purchased now. It is hard when you have a limited amount of money knowing if you should buy what is being sold at a good price now or wait to see if something you like better comes up.

Good gardening news too! My aunt called while I was at the auction. She was having a huge maple taken down. She lives about 20 miles away but wanted to know if we wanted the wood (of course we burn wood for heat). Anyhow the tree trimmer lives near us and is delivering the cut up tree for us. Hopefully this will result in a new contact for free or very cheap chipped tree trimmings. Now we are going to have to buy a tractor to flip my horse manure and tree trimmings compost (we really are hoping too and no not just to flip my compost although that is a good use for it). Yeah! Now if I can just find out if those forsythias are worth planting. Anyone have an idea? I don't want to plant more than a couple if they don't flower much. The greenery is nice but not sure I need 17 spreading shrubs just for greenery.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ugh!

Hind sight is always 20/20. I probably would have gone with some of the more basic perennials such as the Astilbe. Were they good prices? I don't know anything about the dwarf forsythia; however, we don't use any forsythia in bouquets just for the basic reason they usually bloom well before markets start. I think Wendy mentioned using Miss Kim lilacs. They bloom after the French, and their color fades to blue. Perhaps that is what you were observing.

Shirley, are you doing a market this year? Or, are you on a waiting list? Maybe I missed it; but how did your meeting go regarding growing and markets, etc?

Good news on the mulch.

o

I bought a Miss Kim this year. IT did bloom for me but it was rather a wishy washy lavender and didn't fade to blue. Maybe that depends on your soil alkalinity or lack of...It was, however, the most fragrant and dainty lilac and I think there will be a good market for it, as it blooms after the others have finished. So many brides seem to want lilacs just after they have finished I hope that it will give them another chance. IF not, I will enjoy it just for myself! I only have one and a rooted peice that seperated out of the pot.

o

LizaLily, Lavender is blue.......

Step back in time and imagine Burl Ives singing the tune:

"Lavender's blue, dilly dilly,
Lavender's green
When you are King, dilly dilly,
I shall be Queen

Who told you so, dilly dilly,
Who told you so?
'Twas my own heart, dilly dilly,
That told me so.

Call up your friends, dilly, dilly
Set them to work
Some to the plough, dilly dilly,
Some to the fork

Some to the hay, dilly dilly,
Some to thresh corn
Whilst you and I, dilly dilly,
Keep ourselves warm.

Lavender's blue, dilly dilly,
Lavender's green
When you are King, dilly dilly,
I shall be Queen

Who told you so, dilly dilly,
Who told you so?
'Twas my own heart, dilly dilly,
That told me so."

Author: unknown

o

I just finished a Landscape Design class, we seemed to use a lot of Miss Kim because it stays small and nicely shaped (I think!). Maybe you can trade them to a landscaper for some compost...dilly dilly (snerk, snort!)
susan
:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here