Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sgiesler_gw

Ugh!

sgiesler
18 years ago

I had a big although not very cheap adventure today. I went to a huge tree, shrub and perennial auction. I went underfunded (spontaneous decision to go) because the auction bill said cash, travelers check or business check. I bought 17 dwarf spreading forsythias, 5 Miss Kim lilacs, and 4 red astilbes. The UGH factor was once I got back home I thought I would look up the dwarf spreading forsythias. Wouldn't you know there are several different ones. One doesn't flower or very sparesly if it does at all. I hope that isn't what I got. The auctioneer said it already flowered for the year which is to be expected anyhow. I had no idea that there was more than one kind of forsythia before seeing the dwarf spreading kind and figured it was a new type and wasn't named because there was only one kind. I also was told the Miss Kim Lilacs were colored just like the ordinary purple lilacs (the lighter ones). However, later in the auction there were more and they were sort of white with a purple tinge. They almost looked faded or something. Didn't someone here recommend Miss Kim? Please let me know if you really like yours.

Even though I might have goofed big time and bought when maybe I shouldn't have and didn't when I should have, I can't wait until the next plant auction. There was so many different plants, shrubs and trees going at seemingly good prices. I passed on a lot of things I wish I had purchased now. It is hard when you have a limited amount of money knowing if you should buy what is being sold at a good price now or wait to see if something you like better comes up.

Good gardening news too! My aunt called while I was at the auction. She was having a huge maple taken down. She lives about 20 miles away but wanted to know if we wanted the wood (of course we burn wood for heat). Anyhow the tree trimmer lives near us and is delivering the cut up tree for us. Hopefully this will result in a new contact for free or very cheap chipped tree trimmings. Now we are going to have to buy a tractor to flip my horse manure and tree trimmings compost (we really are hoping too and no not just to flip my compost although that is a good use for it). Yeah! Now if I can just find out if those forsythias are worth planting. Anyone have an idea? I don't want to plant more than a couple if they don't flower much. The greenery is nice but not sure I need 17 spreading shrubs just for greenery.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz