Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Enough time to plant any of these?

Posted by chilipete SC (My Page) on
Sun, May 3, 09 at 19:08

This is my first year really starting any plants from seed. After reading this forum, I decided to start a very small cutting garden for my backyard. At the beginning of March, I planted a bunch of seeds in my garage under some lights. Some of them have done really well, but I have lost a fair amount, mainly due to inexperience. The ones that survived are now planted in the garden. I was hoping to start a second batch, but I didn't know if it was too late. Since I've never done this before, I have no idea how long it takes from the time you plant a seed until the time they start to flower. Do I have time to plant any of the following and still have a decent flowering season?

cosmos seashells
calendula bon bon
aster mixed powderpuffs or crego
marigold mumsy gold
zinnia benarys or peppermint
salvia

Thanks for any advice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Enough time to plant any of these?

It is not too late for cosmos or zinnias. I believe some growers plant them several times each season. I am planting my orange and yellow zinnias in a few weeks. My pink, coral, rose and white are in the ground.

I am usure of the remaining ones.

Good luck.

Teresa

o

I agree with teresa about the cosmos and zinnias, and I would also add marigolds to that also.

o

Calendula will also probably bloom in time, especially as the weather cools off toward fall. I would suggest direct seeding all of these, if you can keep the ground moist until they germinate. They are all pretty fast at that, so you shouldn't have much hassle from planting them where you want them to grow.

Are you in S. Carolina? That would probably give you time for the salvia as well. The asters are more iffy, since they would have to put on a lot of growth in the hot weather. I don't think asters like that.

Best of luck!
Hepatica

o

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll get started planting this weekend.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here