Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hypericum Berries?

Posted by butterflylion 7bGA (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 05 at 20:24

What type of Hypericum Berries are used in arrangements? They come in different colors. Where can the plants be purchased? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hypericum Berries?

Hypericum are the mature berries of St. John's Wort.

J-

o

ButtrflyLion. Just looked it up in SPECIALTY CUT FLOWERS. (Do you have the book? IF not, invest in it. Great resource! By Armitage and Laushman).

ALbury Purple
Annebel
AAutumn Blaze
Dolly Parton

Excellent FLair
Candy FLair
Envy FLair
Jade FLair
Pinky FLair
Glacier
MAgical series
OCtober Revolution
Rheingold
Summer

NOw the only ones I HAve found are GLacier and one called "Elstead"/ IT is supposed to have nice berries so I bought 3 of it ths spring. I have discovered that one cuts back the whole plant in the spring and that gets rid of the rust from the previous fall and lets it grow nice long wands that are good for cutting.

I would like to know where to find these others!

o

I ordered some very nice plants from forestfarm.com...they come in tubes and the prices are good. I believe they have quite a few varieties in their cut flower section.

o

There are many *drastically* different species within the genus Hypericum. The ones used by florists [I am one] are the varieties of Hypericum androsaemum, a native to Eurasia, now in gardens in many parts of the world. Many varieties of this particular species have been developed, mostly for varying colors of the berries.

As far as I know, this is the only Hypericum species that is shrubby/woody, and that forms berries like this one does. Other Hypericum species do not form berries, and our native Hypericum perforatum certainly does not.

When you're shopping for Hypericum plants because you're after the berries, be sure to know more about what you're paying for than just 'Hypericum'... you might get an otherwise nice herby plant, but no berries.

LizaLily does seem to know her Hypericum androsaemum varieties [grins]. Pruning back hard is the way the pro growers get those nice long straight stems of berries. And rust can be a problem, even then.

o

LizaLily, how did your "Elstead" plants do? Have you found any others with nice berries?

o

Does anyone know of a source for plants for the Flair group?

o

Hypericum Calycinum is "St. John's Wort" and can be invasive. The Hypericum you are looking for is Androsaemum.
Glacier and orange flair are good for cutting.
Jan

o
hypericum androsaemum plants

Where can I get these plants? Any recommendations would be helpful. I would like the glacier or orange flair variety for cutting. Thanks.

o

Stephanie,

I found the plant at a local perennial nursery and bought one to try it out. I have now killed three plants and have no idea of what is going wrong as this flower bed is a dream come through as far as soil, drainage, etc. The nursery where I found it in St. Louis specializes in many types and varieties of perennials--it was not a big box store so you may find it at a local specialty nursery.

Good luck finding one (and hope it thrives well!)

Teresa

o

I'm growing Hypericum from seed. It has germinated but is growing very slowly so far. It probably won't bloom/bear fruit this year.

o

Steve22802, where did you get your seed?

o

I got my Hypericum seeds from GeoSeeds.

o

Does anyone grow any of the Flair varieties?

o

Is the a source for plants of the different Flair colors?

o

Butterflylion - I don't know about the "Flair" but check out the web-site for Plants Nouveau in Sth Carolina. They list the nurseries where their "Everlasting" series of Hypericum are available from.
Cheers Kim - BFFF

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here