Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflylion_gw

Hypericum Berries?

butterflylion
18 years ago

What type of Hypericum Berries are used in arrangements? They come in different colors. Where can the plants be purchased? Thanks!

Comments (15)

• Jim_Andrews
    18 years ago

Hypericum are the mature berries of St. John's Wort.

J-

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

ButtrflyLion. Just looked it up in SPECIALTY CUT FLOWERS. (Do you have the book? IF not, invest in it. Great resource! By Armitage and Laushman).

ALbury Purple
    Annebel
    AAutumn Blaze
    Dolly Parton

Excellent FLair
    Candy FLair
    Envy FLair
    Jade FLair
    Pinky FLair
    Glacier
    MAgical series
    OCtober Revolution
    Rheingold
    Summer

NOw the only ones I HAve found are GLacier and one called "Elstead"/ IT is supposed to have nice berries so I bought 3 of it ths spring. I have discovered that one cuts back the whole plant in the spring and that gets rid of the rust from the previous fall and lets it grow nice long wands that are good for cutting.

I would like to know where to find these others!

• msgreenjeans
    18 years ago

I ordered some very nice plants from forestfarm.com...they come in tubes and the prices are good. I believe they have quite a few varieties in their cut flower section.

• linda_schreiber
    18 years ago

There are many *drastically* different species within the genus Hypericum. The ones used by florists [I am one] are the varieties of Hypericum androsaemum, a native to Eurasia, now in gardens in many parts of the world. Many varieties of this particular species have been developed, mostly for varying colors of the berries.

As far as I know, this is the only Hypericum species that is shrubby/woody, and that forms berries like this one does. Other Hypericum species do not form berries, and our native Hypericum perforatum certainly does not.

When you're shopping for Hypericum plants because you're after the berries, be sure to know more about what you're paying for than just 'Hypericum'... you might get an otherwise nice herby plant, but no berries.

LizaLily does seem to know her Hypericum androsaemum varieties [grins]. Pruning back hard is the way the pro growers get those nice long straight stems of berries. And rust can be a problem, even then.

• butterflylion
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LizaLily, how did your "Elstead" plants do? Have you found any others with nice berries?

• butterflylion
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Does anyone know of a source for plants for the Flair group?

• busy-girl
    16 years ago

Hypericum Calycinum is "St. John's Wort" and can be invasive. The Hypericum you are looking for is Androsaemum.
    Glacier and orange flair are good for cutting.
    Jan

• stephlangone_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Where can I get these plants? Any recommendations would be helpful. I would like the glacier or orange flair variety for cutting. Thanks.

• teresa_b
    13 years ago

Stephanie,

I found the plant at a local perennial nursery and bought one to try it out. I have now killed three plants and have no idea of what is going wrong as this flower bed is a dream come through as far as soil, drainage, etc. The nursery where I found it in St. Louis specializes in many types and varieties of perennials--it was not a big box store so you may find it at a local specialty nursery.

Good luck finding one (and hope it thrives well!)

Teresa

• steve22802
    13 years ago

I'm growing Hypericum from seed. It has germinated but is growing very slowly so far. It probably won't bloom/bear fruit this year.

• butterflylion
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steve22802, where did you get your seed?

• steve22802
    13 years ago

I got my Hypericum seeds from GeoSeeds.

• butterflylion
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Does anyone grow any of the Flair varieties?

• butterflylion
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Is the a source for plants of the different Flair colors?

• bfff_tx
    12 years ago

Butterflylion - I don't know about the "Flair" but check out the web-site for Plants Nouveau in Sth Carolina. They list the nurseries where their "Everlasting" series of Hypericum are available from.
    Cheers Kim - BFFF

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living