Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sunbright supreme sunflowers are too short

Posted by rita2004 8 (ritajanders@cvtv.net) on
Mon, May 2, 05 at 22:39

My question is what am I doing wrong with them that they get only 18-20" and bloom. I am growing in composted beds and they have plenty of water. I thought they would get at least 4'tall. Help!!!!!!!!!! Another comment about Peach Passion. They look like little scrubs to me. They are planted right next to other sunflowers that are 5-7' tall. Do they need something extra? Has anyone had luck growing pretty peach passion sunflowers and if you did what did you do? I like the color and would like to be able to grow them. Would appreciate any growing advise. Thanks and please send rain to our area of Texas.

Rita

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sunbright supreme sunflowers are too short

Rita,
My experience w/the sunbright series is that they are not day length neutral. They're supposed to be-but I have not found them to be so. Because of this, they have a tendency to "bolt" during shorter day conditons-spring and fall. Later plantings of this variety will likely do well for you. Last fall I found extra fertilizer helped keep some of my less day length neutral suns from bolting, so you might try poring on the fertilizer. So far I have found eversun and superior sunset to be the best day length neutral suns.

No advise on peach passion-I had the same disappointing experience w/them last yr.

Believe me-I'm hoping for rain too!!!

Sherri

o

Thanks Sherri, I think this might be the answer because I can't figure why they are so short and blooming. I am growing superior sunset and they are just great. Another two varieties I am having good sucess with is Full Sun and Pro Cut Orange. These are good florist tall varieties but I am looking for that just right bouquet type and havn't had perfect sucess yet. Thanks

Rita

o

I tried Peach Passion last year and they were a flop here, too. Sounds like this variety was developed and tested for a microclimate.
DD

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here