Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sgiesler_gw

zinnia and sunflower accents

sgiesler
18 years ago

I am basically counting on the zinnias and sunflowers selling in bunches. However, I was wondering if there is anything on the same timetable as the zinnias and procut (because these are the first I will have with many others to follow) sunflowers that would combine to make a nice boquet. I am experimenting with a lot of different flowers. Not many of any except the suns and zinnias and whatever I still have time to buy and plant. The ground was just recently tilled so now I can plant to my hearts content!

I have decided this is going to be a very low key year. I need to build up my perennials and shrubs as well as learn how to take care of so many new to me plants. Hopefully, in a few years I will be able to join the ranks of you pros. Shirley

Comments (5)

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Shirley,
    Did you mean that you are counting on the zinnias and sunflowers selling in grower's bunches? Cosmos, which are daylength sensitive, will bloom earlier if started in trays in the greenhouse and set out as plugs. Otherwise, they bloom late summer. We have sold cosmos in straight bunches. Snapdragons are also good in grower's bunches.
    We plant our Procut sunflowers early, and harvest them well before the zinnias. By the time we are harvesting zinnias, we are using other varieties of sunflowers. Our zinnias start blooming around the second week in July. They need to be succession planted if you intend to harvest the entire season.

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

I would plant some fillers to use with sunflowers and zinnias...bronze fennel, dill (Flowering) ammi majus and visnaga. I Also like chocolate anythings with them...salpiglossis, chocolate cosmos, the amaranths...and my favorite of all is Kiss-Me-Over-the-Garden-Gate. It is especially pretty with the more pastel sunflowers.

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

If you're going to make mixed bouquets, some annual Baby's Breath (Gypsophila) makes some airy filler, and some mixed-colors statice makes nice accent colors. Gypsophila is a fast grower, statice not quite as fast, and unfortunately I have no idea of the timing of those in your climate - I'm only sure it wouldn't be the same as the timing here.

Jeanne

• Flower_Phil
    18 years ago

We found that using Amaranthus as a centre with 5 or 7 sunflowers surrounding it looked great and sold very well.

Phil

• sgiesler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Flowerfarmer (Patricia),
    Yes, I did mean growers bunches. I did really also want to try my hand at boquet making this year too. However, I am running into a time crunch here with the wacky weather and no greenhouse or hoophouse yet. I do hope to have both by next year but that isn't helping now. I just thought since I was running short on time and I already purchased the zinnia and sunflower seeds (hubby asked if I knew I had so many sunflower seeds, lol he hasn't even seen them all), I would try to plant complementary flowers instead of so many of this and that like I had originally planned. When do you direct seed the procuts? I thought I recalled one week before the expected last frost. If that is true, I should start planting them out in one week. However, it is so cold here I am wondering if I should wait for it to get warmer yet. I have various plugs I have planted in my basement under grow lights. It isn't the best of conditions so I am holding my breath to see what makes it to the gardens and all the way to being cutflowers. I do have some snaps and cosmos started but not nearly enough. I haven't looked for cosmos but all I find in snaps are dwarf varieties in the nurseries. I am hoping to find the taller ones soon as I think they are very lovely.

Liza Lily,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am having a time trying to find all of the varieties you guys and gals list here. The last several weeks have been pretty nuts. I really need to travel around to more greenhouses to see if I can find more on my wanted list. I have a couple of kinds of dill but I think both are the kind to use in dill pickles. I will have to check and see what the botanical names are if the packages even say. Well I have two more weeks until the last expected frost. Meanwhile I broke down and ordered The Flower Farmer: An Organic Grower's Guide to Raising and Selling Cut Flowers Lynn Byczynski and Flowers for Sale: Growing and Marketing Cut Flowers : Backyard to Small Acreage by Lee Sturdivant. I have an amazon credit card and was holding out for a rewards certificate. I decided I just couldn't wait any longer. Thanks again for the suggestions. I will add them to the wanted list and continue the search. Shirley

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus