Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristenmarie_gw

various questions: tulips, larkspur, etc

kristenmarie
18 years ago

Hi folks- I've been too busy to post all my questions lately! Ugh. I have thousands upon thousands of sunflowers in the ground, though, and 3,000 glads... 500 lilies, 800 amaranths, the list goes on.

ONE THING I'm missing, which grew for me so well last year (and so LITTLE grows well here) is the larkspur-- my self-sow larkspur got overrun with weeds and there are only a few plants in there. I'm very sad about this and I had this idea tonight to order some seed ASAP (tomorrow) and put it in the fridge cold for a week and then just sow it. Any chance I'd get larkspur in August, you think?

(And as long as I'm ordering seed, well GEE, maybe I'd better toss in a few hundred more fast sunflower seeds! Right??!)

Next, tulips-- when I bought all these darn tulips, I didn't know what I was doing-- I bought some short varieties and some early varieties which are NOT working for me. I've only got 2 varieties that are late enough and tall enough. So I need to dig up all my tulips, which are taking up space... Is right about now (when they are turning brown, totally done blooming 2 weeks ago) a good time to dig them? How do I store them until fall? They'll be lovely up by the house in our "lookie lou" garden but they've got to get out of my cutting garden. Suggestions on timing and how to do this-- just dig them now and plant them back in October-- is this ok?

Kristen

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions