Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do delphs keep blooming?

Posted by KristenMarie Z4-5/New Mexico (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 05 at 0:20

Hi, my delphinium are blooming, and I'm curious, if I keep cutting, will they keep blooming all summer?

thanks,
Kristen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do delphs keep blooming?

They won't bloom all summer but if you cut them back when they finish you may get new shoots that will bloom in the fall.

o

Mine will bloom all summer (that's one of the very few benefits to a cold climate) but the blooming stalks get shorter and shorter with fewer and fewer flowers until they aren't really useful. I plan to try the cut-back-to-the-ground system this year on some of them, but I'm afraid they won't have time to get blooms up there again, considering that they are in the middle of their first bloom only now - and these are established, 2-year-old plants. With your warm days and cold nights, instead of cold days and AND nights like mine, yours might do well that way. My just-started-this-year plants are only just developing blooming-stalks-to-be and teeny-tiny buds. On the pro side, they don't mind freezing at all, so they should go farther into the fall than most other plants.

Jeanne

o

Jeanne, my delphs are just about where yours are. WOnder if it is more day length that affects them? Mine don't bloom all summer though. I am just cutting down the first to bloom now.
I want lots more differetn colors! I seem to only have 3 shades of bllue and one is an earlier type. I Planted many differnt kinds this spring but by the time they survive to be planted and then survive the delicious leaf stage in slugdom I don't get many. I do have one survivor of my New Zealand hyb package of "Short" delphies though. IT is a purple with a dark bee, not my favorite combination. It should serve to spark up one of my flowerbeds though where there are too many pastels.

o

We grow belladonnas, magic fountains and Conn. Yankees. They are just starting to bloom now, maybe a bit later than usual because of our drought - no rain in June. I cut them at ground level or slightly below. That's finicky, but seems to encourage new, tall bloom stalks. Ours typically bloom thru early and mid summer. They take off in Aug. and usually come back when it cools down. We grow ours in tomato cages mulched with wood chips. I'd love to hear how others grow and cut them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here