Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noni_morrison

clarkia (farewell to spring)

Noni Morrison
17 years ago

Anyone grown this as a cut? When do you pick them? They blossom from the bottom up and mine just have the first 4 or 5 blossoms at the bottom open. They have about 30" of foliage and potential bloom above that.

Comments (2)

• flowers4u
    17 years ago

Lizalily - I grew it by mistake one year and on purpose another year. It's a beautiful flower, but I had a tough time getting it to last very long before drooping. But that was in my early years of flower growing and I haven't added it to my regular list since then, due to eratic germination and the need for space for other more "valuable" flowers.

I'm interested to hear if others have similar results!

Wendy

• RobRoyOH5
    17 years ago

Lizalilly - Clarkia is an annual part of our flower program. We grow it in the hoophouse in half bags from bales of ProMix. It blooms with early peonies - georgous with Coral Charm. It hold up extremely well for us, takes refrigeration, and customers often still have it the following Sat. market. We grow Appleblossom Pink, from Thompson & Morgan. Salmon Queen is also wonderful, but I can no longer find the seed. I did grow one other one once - it didn't stand up or hold up.