Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_phil

Guys don't buy flowers

Flower_Phil
18 years ago

I have been reading this forum for awhile now, and one of the things that I picked up from the comments of assorted flower growers is that Most Guys DonÂt Buy Flowers. Considering that the whole idea is to sell flowers to people, I think that 50% of the population not buying flowers is an important issue. So as a guy wishing to contribute to this forum and help other flower growers I thought I would offer this advice. It works for me most of the time.

Most guys are very concerned on how they appear to the rest of the world. They donÂt like shopping so if they are at the market itÂs likely that a wife or girlfriend is near. When you do spot a guy looking at your flowers, you may need to use a little reverse psychology to convince him to buy your flowers. This will require a little acting/performing on your part, so donÂt be shy and speak loud enough so that others at or near your booth can hear you too. YouÂre performing, and I have found that if you can make your customers laugh, theyÂll remember you and come back for more.

When you see a guy standing back or slowing to look at your booth, call out to him and tell him that he shouldnÂt buy your flowers unless heÂs looking for trouble at home. Bringing home flowers will make the spouse suspicious. ItÂs amazing how often that gets the guy to come over.

If you do have a guy at your booth buying flowers, tell him that it might not be a good idea to buy flowers unless heÂs willing to come back as his spouse will expect them every week. Most will agree and now you have a new steady customer.

If you see a guy standing back while his wife is looking at your flowers, without acknowledging that his wife is right there, tell him that he needs to buy some flowers for his girlfriend. If he bites and says that he is married, tell him that he should buy some for his wife too. By this time his wife should be agreeing with you and giving him a few not so subtle hints.

One final suggestion  as guys like to show off their superior intelligence, give them suggestions on how to keep flowers lasting longer. They can then show off this knowledge when they get home.

YouÂre now his buddy because you helped make him look good.

Phil

p.s. - I wrote this with tongue firmly in cheek.

Comments (8)

• DapperDahlia
    18 years ago

Thanks for the Tips!

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

DapperDahlia/Carrie, Phil wasn't being serious -- Thus the tongue in cheek reference.

We have never had a problem selling flowers to men/guys. Maybe our customers are more cosmopolitan; but, I doubt it. At the market we don't have to act. We're flower farmers; and, most people appreciate that. We also don't wear our bib overalls to market. Those we wear on the farm. Most farmers clean themselves up to look presentable. The ones wearing the bibs at the market are the 'pretend farmers.' Unfortunately, we have resellers at the market because the city hasn't quite caught on that they are not a good thing.

As far as the tips, that's considered hawking. All the markets we attend have rules pertaining to that activity. Three warnings; and, ones butt gets put to the curb. It isn't tolerated. Markets are a refined social outing. If the customers wanted excanges with a 'carni,' they would most likely go to a carnival. How about some tips though on how to make our bouquets stand out from the other 20 or so flower vendors? Maybe a few snapshots of your spiffy booth.

Hope you hang around, Phil. Do you have your helmet strapped on tightly? Some of us flower growers are pretty tired and cranky right about now; and, sometimes we forget our manners...........

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

I thought it was pretty funny! I'm a terrible actress, so I wouldn't try it myself, but any of that said in a spirit of good fun would be standard fare at our market. I find that a kidding sort of conversation with male customers works well.

The flower seller at our market who sells to men the most is right next to a jerky (beef, elk) booth. I don't think that's a coincidence. Me, I'm next to a produce-and-jewelry stand. No help there. This area still has a bit of a Wild West, Mountain-Man mentality. Most of the guys drive trucks and won't buy flowers. But we keep trying, anyhow. I've learned that if a guy is looking very serious, even concerned, when looking at flowers, he probably IS in trouble at home and is a prime candidate for the most expensive flowers I have.

Jeanne

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Ha. Ray, we sometimes have drunks stagger on down to the market mid-morning. They obviously had spent the morning in the local Tip a Few. Money is no object. Then, I remember the nicest young man who paid for his sweetheart's bouquet with silver dollars. He, however, hadn't spent the morning in the local tavern.

Don't ya need a peddler's license to set up outside the hardware store?

I'm sticking with the theory that our customers are too well bred for any of that coy stuff; and, we don't have to stoop to such nonsense. We don't have mountain men either. We do have men who drive trucks and also buy flowers though. The closest I have seen to a mountain man is this dude who wears cutoff bluejeans, tie-dyed tshirt, tatoos, cowboy hat, cowbow boots, and white socks with a navy blue stripe. He never buys our flowers........

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

flowerfarmer, your mountain man sounds a little extreme even for this area! The cowboy hat alone would be odd here.

We have men who buy flowers, but an awful lot who don't. We're still working on that. One day a guy came up, tattoos all over the place, biker jacket, head shaved but unkempt beard, looking for something for his wife's birthday. He really liked the best - and most expensive - bouquet I had. I've seen him several times since, with his wife, who LOVED those flowers and now buys from me herself. Ya never know what's gonna happen!

At our market, there just aren't many men who come to the market, period. I can only attribute that to local attitudes, but I don't know if other markets are like that also. Traditional gender roles are followed a lot more here than where I spent most of my life, in the San Francisco Bay Area. For example, my husband is a good cook and can spend hours in a kitchen store. In the Bay Area, that's not unusual at all. I don't know even one other man here who could be called a good cook or who would allow himself to be dragged into a kitchen store. There are a LOT more stay-at-home moms here. It's different.

Jeanne

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Jeanne,

It sounds like the 50s.....

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

Yeah, it's remarkably similar to the 50's, or maybe the 60's. And almost all the gay folks are closeted, at least very discreet. There are very few non-Caucasians, and very few good international restaurants. Downright boring, as a matter of fact. I live not far from the only town that has any kind of variety of people or attitudes or restaurants, and a LOT of aging hippies, but I don't go to the market there - too small, too few customers.

I'm not dissing stay-at-home moms, though. I applaud that, when it's possible. In the Bay Area, only the wealthiest couples can afford to own a home without having both parents working. The cost of living is lower here and the idea of keeping up with the Joneses is almost non-existent, so it's easier to do here.

Jeanne

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor