Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersandthings

Favorite annuals/perennials for cutting?

flowersandthings
18 years ago

What are your favorite annuals and perennials for cutting? Would like beautiful and long (in the vase) lasting flowers that can be taken from outdoors without stripping plants (leaving some foliage blossoms stems on outdoor plants) or ones that can be grown in enough abundance to leave enough outdoors..... Thanks.... ones for sun or shade.... not too hard to grow.... Annuals especially that can be raised from seed..... :)

Comments (20)

• Fundybayfarm
    18 years ago

As far as easy annuals, cosmos are wonderful because they are easily started from seed, and the sensation mix grows to at least 4' tall, with lots of beautiful foliage, and plenty of flowers to cut, that just keep coming. Also, zinnias are easy, and have plenty to cut without stripping the plant. Asters are the same way, just look for the tall varieties. Tall ageratum is nice, as is strawflowers, and those are great for drying as well. Snaps are a must, the rocket variety is tall, and gorgeous. As for perennials, delphiniums are beautiful in arrangements, and some varieties bloom again in the fall. Lilies are great, and very showy, as are irises, but you won't have much left to look at after cutting, better to put toward the back of your cutting garden. Shasta daisy is great, rudbeckias, valerian, siberian iris, english wall flowers, and peonies.
    These are just a few of many, and since I don't know how big of an area you are planting, I'll just stop here. Hope this helps.
    Cheryl

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

How about peonies? Is it cold enough for them where you are? The plants don't provide enough to cut and be pretty in the garden also until they are a few years old, but then they're generous.

Jeanne

• paveggie
    18 years ago

Annuals:
    Gomphrena (tall, not dwarf)
    Angelonia (not available from seed)
    Cleome 'Solo' (not super tall, but spineless)
    Salvia tall blue or white

also agree with zinnias, Rudbeckias, the tall Ageratum mentioned before.

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Do any of you use mums in Fall bouquets? I wonder because mine didn't overwinter this year and I want to know if I should be replacing them or not.

Also, are there some cleome varieties with SPINES? They are about the only seedlings that have survived from winter sowing efforts, but I don't know what kind they are: just cleome.

And finally, I've failed miserably at straw flowers years ago, but just yesterday got another pack of seeds to try, try again.
    Any secrets or advice on soil types, fertilizer, watering pattern to lead to success?
    Thanks. And to add my favorites addressing the original question- don't forget dahlias and roses, tall campanulas and playcodon.

• Poochella
    18 years ago

platy, make that platycodon: balloon flowers. :) 7th grade spelling champ returning for a correction.... tee hee.

• crdahlia
    18 years ago

Don't forget dahlias. Although, I don't know whether to call them an annual or a perennial. Home Depot lists them as an annual -- guess that works better for their 1 year plant guarantee.

Teresa

• paveggie
    18 years ago

Aside to Poochella -- most all the cleomes are spined. So far I've only found two which aren't which make them much more desirable cutters. The 'Solo' mentioned (from seed) which is white-flowered with a touch of red, and 'Nancy Armstrong' a light purple which I've bought only as plants. Solo is taller than Nancy Armstrong. Solo reseeds and I just yanked out several in the now-pepper-growing ground.

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

DAHLIAS AN ANNUAL? Ha ha! Better not tell Chilson's Pride, who is starting her 5th year with out ever being removed for the winter! The flowers may be a little fewer each year unles I can figure out what I fertilized her with the year she was giving me 100 bloom day. Last year Crazy Love pulled the same trick through she was more like 60 blooms a day. I Think it may have been the alfalfa I put around the nearby rose. I Am now sprinkling alfalfa meal around all my dahlias. Crazy Love almost demolished a huge bush of OthelloRose..I divided and moved CL and Othello is slowly recovering.....

Another of my favorite perennials is the perennial scabiosa. I grow Black Knight, and a collection of blues from Select Seeds that runs from true blue to powder blue and lavender. This year I planted some scarlet ones I am looking forward too. It blooms just at the time of year when it is getting hard to find annuals in enough quantity for bouquet work. As an annual/perennial I love orlaya. I had one plant come back from a small planting last year, and this year I have a 4' bock of new orlaya that is all knee high (I have long legs!) and blooming like crazy. It holds up well in the vase...as well as the Amazon Neon dianthus.

• charles_hanon
    18 years ago

It's a biennial, but mine is blooming in its third year- I just love dianthus barbatus - the old fashioned Sweet Williams. I have all dark red ones and they look nice with everything and are tall. Even if you cut all the flowers off, the foliage is not unattractive.

• Poochella
    18 years ago

PAveggie, thanks for the word on the cleome. Mine will be a mystery cleome until (if) they grow from seedling status.

• KrazyKim
    18 years ago

Just curious about Sunflowers? Are they a good seller? I was going through a catalog, thinking about what to try next year. What is your opinion of sunflowers?

• RobRoyOH5
    18 years ago

Poochella,

Do you have any help about handling balloon flowers? I have a nice stand, but have yet learned how to pick and condition. Last year I tried searing the stems with a butane match, but still didn't get good vase life. They are so beautiful - I would love to be able to put them in bunches!
    While I'm "talking", I'd like to thank all of you - old faithfuls and newbies alike - for all your comments. What a community!

Roberta

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Sorry RobRoy, you are already ahead of me trying the searing stem trick. I cut them into warm preservative water and have never noticed that they Don't last.
    And on a happy note, a patch of blue ones I moved two years ago, before learning they do not like to be moved, have restablished themselves and are ready to bloom any day now. Now you've prompted me to try a little searing vs no searing experiment.

Perhaps someone else will chime in with their experience.

• susiq
    18 years ago

KrazyKim-- Sunflowers are KING. You almost certainly HAVE to grow them!!!!!!!

There have been several threads about best varieties, some of them in the "Journal" entries, some of them in the "What worked best for you/what will you grow next year" threads. Read some of the older threads on pages 2-10 of this forum and you should find LOTS of info.

I'm enjoying my first small stand of sunflowers in years. For ten thousand reasons I haven't been successful with them in recent years,(and may not again be this summer) primarily due to me being an idiot! They are probably the easiest flower to grow EVER and I've failed! LONG stories, won't go into here.

The experts use the Pro-Cut series, the Sun Series, Starburst Series, and dozens of others. I think you could close your eyes, turn around 3 times, and then point to a variety and it will be fabulous for you.

Good luck,

Susi.

• KrazyKim
    18 years ago

Thanks, Susi! I found a neat looking variety in the Johnny's catalog, it has a geometrical pattern in the center, it's called "Zebulon" cool a roo, lol......next year, :(

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Oh, man. We have so much to get done before market on Saturday. But, I couldn't help dragging out my Johnny's catalog to take a peek. The Zebulon are dwarf sunflowers. It also has a green center. Most customers here want the standard looking sunflower with a dark center. In Michigan growers use Pro Cut for early season sales. Then, we move on to the best of the best, Sunbright all summer. Sunny is grown for late season sales in mid to late September.

• KrazyKim
    18 years ago

Ok, well, I went and perused a couple higher end garden centers and no-one sells sunflowers already started. Did I just miss the boat or is there an untapped market there....??? I will put Pro-cut on the list, along with the Sunbright..........thank you flowerfarmer :)
    I like unique things and thought the "pattern" on the Zebulon was very unique.......but I will take advice from one who knows.

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

High end garden centers don't sell sunflowers already started. Well, maybe the dwarf. They germinate so quickly. We are planting all summer. It is never to late to plant them. I don't know if you order from Germania; but, when we place an order by noon, we have the seed in our little pattycakes the following day -- Regular UPS. Johnny's takes longer for delivery. Just a FYI.
    We love unique too; but, our idea of unique and the customer's is sometimes not the same.

• subrosa
    18 years ago

Astrantia will take quite a bit of shade and is easy to grow. The blooms last a long time cut. There are white, white with green and burgundy with varying amounts of white. Easy to grow perennial.

• Pink_Petunia
    18 years ago

The prettiest early summer bouquet of perennial cuttings I've ever seen is peonies-siberial iris-delphinium.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner