Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Best iris types/cultivars?

phylrae
18 years ago

Does anyone here recommend growing a specific type of iris for bouquets? I am very, very small grower, haven't sold bouquets yet, but trying to get started. Have only a handful of irises (Kasperek broken colored from Zebra Gardens). While very unusual and everyone at work "oohs" and "aahs" when they see them, I haven't felt they were very prolific at all.

Should I stick with some siberians like Caesar's Brother, etc? Should I bother at all with iris? Phyl

Comments (9)

• alabama_jan
    18 years ago

I grow Louisiana, Siberian, Japanese, and bearded in different sizes. I grow the first three listed standing in water which makes growing them a lot easier as you don't have to worry about whether they are too dry or too wet. I have had them like this for years and they grow like wildfire. Louisiana are supposed to love wet feet and the Siberian and Japanese like to be less wet. I cannot tell the difference and everybody is happy. I really prefer these over the bearded iris as they are so much easier to maintain. They are grown in pots and they are sitting in water up to where the bottom of the foliage is in contact with the water. I live in Alabama so wintering them over isn't a problem. But, if you are in a cold climate, you could drop an aquarium heater down in the water to keep the water temp up.

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

The one thing we find with all iris is that some customers need to be educated about the fact that while the first flower withers there are more coming and to just pull off the dead ones. HAd one of our best customers junk a whole bouquet thinking it was dead the day after we delivered it! Weuse beareded iris as a focal point for customers we think will enjoy them. We also use Siberians, Dutch iris, and our almost wild Douglas iris..in fact anykind we have. I am really enchanted with the Loisiana iris but need to shell out the money for some spectacular onesfor my pond.I just got it cleaned of rampant dwarf cat-tail so there might be room now.

THe main place we use the bearded iris is withthe spring weddings. NOthing else gives the "Awe" factor at that time of the year then tall bouquets of mixed blue and white irises! (SO far all of our brides have wanted blue(Navy or sky) or lavender at that time of year.

• phylrae
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jan and Liza, very interesting info from both of you! Think I'll get some more Siberian types maybe....in fact, I forget that there's a big perennial farm up the road a ways that really seems to stick to a lot of native plants, and they really know their stuff. I realize my zone is a lot different than your zones.
    May I ask if you both what your fav Siberian cultivars' names are? I can ask on the iris forum if they recommend particular cultivars too. Liza, what are the names of the bearded iris (if you remember?) I was so disappointed to see that my Dutch iris never came up....only to realize that the reason is that where I planted them has become so rootbound with a tree that nothing grows there (I've tried just about everything in the past). Liza, have you ever planted Delft Blue? I think I had it planted, but it didn't make it because of those %*%@&$#!!! roots. Anway, thanks so much! Phyl

• susiq
    18 years ago

Phyl,

One of the types I've heard is the BEST for cuts is Spuria Iris. I keep forgetting to order some; someone on the iris forum can tell you a vendor name.

They require some slightly more special care, primarily full sun, can't remember which kind of soil, and then they are left undisturbed for YEARS as they make a big, (towering?) clump and become a landscape focal point. I have the impression the clump gets 4-6' tall after a while.

But, since I haven't grown them, I'm just relying on the barely retained info I've read from the occassional vendor catalogs I've seen. I think if you want to order some, do so now; I think they sell out early. I've seen pics, they look beautiful, but what exactly makes them better than Sibs,Dutch, Japanese, or Louisianas, or even Beardeds, I have no clue.

Good luck

Susi.

• flowers4u
    18 years ago

I agree with Lizalily's comments on bearded...they're great, but you do have to teach people how to pull of the slimy old flowers, and they drip too!

I had great success this year with Dutch Iris - for the first time!! I had the cobalt blue, deep purple, a few yellow and the rose (from VanEngelen's). I am finding the siberian are beautiful, but I can't seem to get them to grow lots of flowers or last as long as the dutch or bearded. And, unfortunately, I don't have a pond or moist areas to grow the Japanese or other moisture-loving varieties. The bearded hold really, really well in the cooler if you pick them at a pencil stage when the color is showing on at least 3 blooms. And, they multiple easily and are hardy too!
    Wendy

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Customers in our region don't want the bearded iris in any of their bouquets. And, they would not pull the slimy old flowers off. They also grow these in their own gardens. The iris we use for bouquets are the Siberian. We have used 'Dreaming Spires,' 'Ruffled Velvet,' and 'Gull's Wing' which is a really pretty white and is an excellent cutflower. Ours are grown right out in the open field without any problem.

• phylrae
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Susi, Wendy and Patricia,
    Wow, great info from everyone. I planted Dutch iris last fall, but now realize that the area I tried them in is totally a lousy place for them. I will look into spurias, try the Dutch ones again in a better place and check out the ones you mentioned Patricia....thanks so much! Phyl

• susiq
    18 years ago

A quick follow-up --

I ordered something like 200 Dutch Iris several years ago, all one color, a deep blue/purple. I felt like a fool getting so many! I didn't treat them well, so only have far less than that original 200, but those come back faithfully for me every year, and get AWESOME! They bloom in Mid March for me. I was so thrilled with them last year that I decided to order more and then bought extras from Lowe's/Home Depot when theirs went on sale.

The bulb size from Van Engelen was smallish, but okay. The ones from Lowe's/HD were TINY in comparison. Ya' get what you pay for.

I need to re-arrange a lot of beds, so, IF I can find/dig up the old bulbs, I'm sure the labels are gone. I'll have a rainbow in my field!

If you can keep them from year to year, I think they get taller & stronger stemmed each year, at least my old blue/purple ones do.

Good luck.

Susi.

I think I got the original 200 from a place called Marlboro Bulbs out of one of the Carolinas. I think they might have changed their name. I got a bunch of Daffs from them too. It advertised in Growing for Market or the ASCFG quarterly. I no longer get either and haven't re-ordered. No problems w/ the quality--I think they're one of those places where you have to order 200's of some things, and I didn't have that foresight to order in those quantities.

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

Bulbmart
    Wilmington, NC
    800 868 0426

Sponsored