Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bearded Iris as cut flowers?

Posted by cottage_gardener 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 20, 06 at 6:47

I see a lot of members mention bearded iris in their market collections. Where I live, these plants are strictly bedding plants only as the blooms wither within 24 hours. What are some of the long-lasting varieties suitable for cut flowers?
Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bearded Iris as cut flowers?

I use the large showy bearded iris in my bouquets, making sure that there are at least 4-5 buds, with one already open. I also tell my customers that as a bloom fades, to just snap off that one, and the others will open. One down side is the purple flowers as they wither, will leave a purple stain on either your hands, or a white table cloth should it fall off. I usually remind people of that. They are gorgeous in a bouquet, and when using them, I also put lots of other flowers around the iris to hold interest when the iris's are done. Right now I have siberian iris in many colors to go with them, white lychnis, astrantia, dianthus, painted daisy, valerian, trollius, tansy leaves, ect... The blooms of an iris are so beautiful, I don't think people mind the fact they have to pick off the spent blooms.
Cheryl

o
RE: Bearded Iris as cut flowers?

Some of my customers love iris and look forward to iris season. Others find them a bother...folks who don't want to take the time to groom their bouquet. So the subscription folks who love them get them when in bloom...long stalks with lots of buds. I occassionally will put a branch with maybe 3 buds in my smaller stand bouquets but onlyh in some of them so people can choose if they want them. I try to stay away from any of the really inky ones to sell. Plenty of bright colors that do not look so gruesome as they wither.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here