Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pricing Wholesale Cut-Your-Own Flowers?

Posted by thinman Z5 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 9:54

A fellow flower-grower needs extras and will be cutting from my field. I'm thinking a fair price should be somewhere below wholesale since I'm not doing the cutting. Let's say I usually get 35 cents a stem from a florist for Sweet Williams, including cutting, bunching, and delivery. How cheap do you think I should go for my colleague?

ThinMan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pricing Wholesale Cut-Your-Own Flowers?

My opinion is you should keep the pricing consistent with the price you use for your florist sales. You are providing your colleague the opportunity to come into your flower field and pick the best locally grown flowers.

Hope all is well!

o

Hi Trish, I'm so glad to see that you are still looking in on us from time to time. I had a little problem in the form of a heart attack a month ago, so this year's flower growing has been put on hold. I was able to sell a lot of my starts, and my flower-growing friend is going to cut quite a few of the things that were already in the ground. Luckily, the business is small and only a hobby for me. I'll just relax this summer.

Thanks a lot for your valuable opinion. I hope all is well with you.

TM

o

Sure hope you are feeling well TM.

Wondering what you decided to do on charging for someone to come and cut. I was thinking it might be easiest to do a bulk charge or charge per bucket...not sure how one might price it though.

o

We settled on the price of $4 a bucket. There is a nearby farm that wholesales for $6 a bucket and they do the cutting, so $4 seemed fair, though low. Especially since the flowers were all going to waste anyway. I think if someone just dropped in out of the blue and asked to cut flowers I would ask for more.

Thanks for the good wishes.

TM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here