Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian_kc0kfg

getting started

brian_kc0kfg
18 years ago

Well after lots of reading and planing we started some market sales, but after reading some posts in here it looks like there is a demand for flowers and greens? direct to the florists.

so I guess the question is how big is the market for flowers? and do most florists buy direct?

Thanks for your time. I now return you to gardens.

Brian kc0kfg

Comments (8)

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Brian,
    Loved your Homepage. The market is HUGE for flowers. Yes. Both flowers and greens. Is it farmers markets you are looking to participate in, or direct sales to the florist?

Lunchtime and bouquet making this afternoon........

• brian_kc0kfg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

direct sales to the florist is what I was wondering about we allready do some markets with veg and baked goods.

what im thinking about is doing some market research in my local area but I guess I dident think florists bought from local growers. hey flower farmer how bout some online teachings ? lol
    Brian kc0kfg

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Online teaching of bouquet making, Brian? Maybe during the winter. Let's see -- You go to market with vegetables, baked goods, and you are now also doing flowers, or you will start taking flowers to market? Seems there are a few individuals on this forum who are selling to florists. I am not one of those -- other than the florists who come to the market. I am not interested in selling wholesale. I like getting the full retail $$$ for my flowers. And, we do enjoy the benefit of meeting so many people. Oh, and I assume the florist like the idea of being able to purchase certain flowers that don't ship well. They may even like the idea of locally grown.

• susiq
    18 years ago

Brian, think quantity and quality when selling to florists-----at least, that's the ideal!

This week I sold 4 (yes, FOUR) Sunflower stems to my florist, and 5 larkspur stems, and went home w/ $10.00. Ten more $ than I came in with.

Goshawker-Steve loads his whole van FULL of flowers to take to florists, and usually sells everything he can cram in there.

So, there is a wide range. I don't have near enough of anything planted, so I take what I have to this one local florist. So far, she/they have bought everything I've come in with, except for some rudbeckia, and I'm gradually building a nice rep with them. Not many flowers, but good looking ones that they can buy out of petty cash.

Read as many of the threads on this whole forum (all 10 pages) as you can. THAT will be your education, that, and your existing and future gardening/selling. Some people like Kristin in NM, and some of the people on the East Coast take flowers and AND vegies to market. Clink has a U-Pick farm in Iowa. Flowerfarmer and Jeanne in Idaho & Liza Lily in Washington JUST take flowers to market. Some of us have one to several subscription bouquet customers. All of us have stories and wisdom to share, but it will be your "summer homework" to read everything we've discussed for the last several years, commit it to memory,(????, well, maybe! LOL!), acquire and read the books we recommend, get a subscription to growingformarket, and sally forth!

It's "easy"! Tra-la-la!

Good luck.

SusiQ

• goshawker
    18 years ago

Brian,

It's too bad you aren't closer to Souix Falls, I'll bet you could make a killing there selling to florists. My story is long and roundabout how I got into selling to florists(I grow native flowers and grasses for seed primarily) so I'll give you a few tips. Go to Watertown and see how many florists they have. Look for one that has some different types of flowers in their arangements in the cooler, they would be more inclined to try something other that the staples of what the wholesaler brings them. The trick is to get that first one. Once I got my first florist I delivered with consistency and quality. My hook was that nobody was offering what I had. That being said he suggested that I grow Zinnias, because they don't ship as well and have a shorter vase life, as well as sunflowers because the freight cost kill him. Chances are all the florists in town know each other and you can do what I did. After you have a good relationship going with him/her ask them for the names of a few other shops that might be interested in your flowers. Tell him/her just a few good ones because you don't want every shop in town to have them, your flowers will set them apart. My guy even went as far as calling them and letting them know I was coming over to show them what I had. I got several that way. I did get my biggest one on my own with persistance. She finally called me back when I sent her a boquet of my flowers in a vase so she could see what I had to offer. I have struck out on a few too, so don't get discouraged if someone shoots you down cold turkey.

You have to have the product to sell, don't try selling them on what you might do to see if there is interest. I took my lead from Lynne B.'s book and just took my buckets of flowers to the store and asked them for a minute of their time so they could see what I had. If they want to buy right then, itold them that they were already sold but I could be back in a couple hours with really fresch cut ones. It gives the impression, rightfully so, that someone else wants them as much as they do. In my case they weren't necessarily sold but I knew if I went to one of my other florists that I they would buy them.

• goshawker
    18 years ago

Ooops, I accidentally sent that before I was done. I also realized it's 1:00 a.m. and I still have to pack for a 3 day mini family vacation leaving in about 6 hours. That should be enough to get you thinking. I'll check this thread when I get back. BTW, I have some fond childhood memories goose hunting with my father and grandfather out there at Lac qui Parle, listening to them talk about the wars they were in, fishing trips, Armistice day blizzard, the Great Depression. It was far more than hunting, it was a history lesson.

Got to get some ZZZZZ's

Steve

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Looked as if Brian's question was: so I guess the question is how big is the market for flowers? and do most florists buy direct?

Consumption of flowers in the US has increased in the last 20 years. But, it is still approximately one half that of northern Europe. This suggests there is room for growth in the demand for flowers. The demand for flowers is typically found in urban areas where the customer will buy flowers pretty much all the time. This, as opposed to the rural areas where people generally buy flowers only for special occasions.

Nearly one half of the fresh flowers sold in the US are imported. This answers the second part of Brian's question. Florists buy imported flowers for the most part. Florists in small communities view growers of cutflowers for farmers markets as their competition. If you intend to sell to florists and participate in a farmers market in the same community, they may view this as a bad business practice. Ya don't want to be shooting yourself in the foot.

If you have an acre or two, one cannot compete effectively with wholesale florists. There won't be enough flowers to bargain convincingly. The best alternative strategy is direct sales at farmers markets, roadside stands, U-Pick farms and subscription delivery services. The advantage is the grower gets full $$$$ for his flowers, and is insulated from the wide market fluctuations in the wholesale markets. Flowers are a commodity.

PS Susi, we don't just take flowers to market. And, a three day mini vacation sounds really nice right now. We'll be taking ours in late November after markets are done for the season, and when the new grandbaby is born. Perfect timing.......

• brian_kc0kfg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow Thank you for the responces so far, Im taking some of the advice to heart and I have started reading the this fourm, from oldest till now.

and soon I will be adding to the fourm more and more.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner