Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cut back Centaurea after initial bloom or pull

Posted by ranapipens 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 11:06

Hi, I harvested my first round of nice big blooms. Now I have lots of small buds mixed in with seed heads. Do most of you yank these out and seed something else or does cutting back achieve another flush of blooms?
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cut back Centaurea after initial bloom or pull

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 23:28

The foliage gets quite floppy Y ragged here, so I cut back when the 1st round of blooms are spent even though as you said there are small buds. Produces nice foliage and blooms in mid-August if I cut back by 4th of July.

You don't need to yank, but cutting back gives other nearby plants center stage.

o
RE: Cut back Centaurea after initial bloom or pull

Thanks for the info! I missed the July 4th date this year but did do some succession sowing so still have some nice looking blooms to cut.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here