Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amaranth Wilting - Pictures ???

Posted by springvillegardens Zone 9 CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 27, 06 at 11:32

Help - please, my amaranth is wilting, see pictures below. I apologize for out of focus - my camera battery was on its last legs and is charging now. First it wilts slightly and then it dies completely. I also had two Rudbeckia in the same bed wilt and die. Perhaps I mulched too heavily and watered too much - it has been 110 for three days and I was trying to keep them from suffering from the heat.

Is there anything I can do - I was so looking forward to seeing the amaranth - this is the first time I have grown amaranth and I only have 5 plants left.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Thanks.

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amaranth Wilting - Pictures ???

Linda - is it possibly gophers? if you pull the plant up, are there roots? Amaranthus is pretty tough, I thought...and would hold up. Rudbeckia does like the water, so I wouldn't think that would be the case.

Let us know what you find out.
Wendy

o
RE: Amaranth Wilting - Pictures ???

Dear Wendy,

Normally I would say it could be a gopher, but all my beds are lined with aviary wire because we have so many gophers and on some of the amaranth only one branch is wilting usually the gopher eats the whole root and the plant falls over. These plants still have their roots.

I am wondering if there is something eating or sucking at the base of the stem - I noticed there are lots of ants and rollie pollie (pill) bugs at the base of the plant - I thought pill bugs didn't eat live plants but maybe I am wrong - I don't seee any aphids that the ants would be farming - I may need to put a cardboard collar around the plants to keep whatever is eating them away - with all this hot weather they are probably staying cool under my plants.

Later today, I also noticed another variety of rudbeckia in another bed has two wilted stems on the outside of the plant - but the rest of the plant is fine. I am going to have to lay down on the ground and really look under the plants perhaps with a magnifying glass to see what is happening.

Thanks, I will keep you posted.

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here