Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noni_morrison

Trish? How are you doing?

Noni Morrison
15 years ago

I have not been up to posting much of the time since my 2nd knee replacement...still fall asleep at odd times of the day and am now struggling with tendonitis in both legs. I have missed so much and would like to catch up with my old friends here...Trish, how is the fight going? Has anyone elese heard recently who would like to fill me in if she is not up to posting?

And how is everyone else doing? How are sales for you this year?

It has been so cold here that of the whole row I Planted before my 2nd knee replacement I Find one zinnia and 6 batchlors buttons and that is about it! Except for a good volunteer patch of love in a mist and 2 volunteer sunflowers and lots of volunteer clarkia! Hurray for the volunteers this year!

I did finally manage to get my 45 new dahlias in the ground last week, which just might have something to do with this tendonitis...(You think?)

Comments (5)

• flowers4u
    15 years ago

Lizaliy - you beat me to this post! I was thinking about all of you yesterday - finally got my last annual plugs planted - 1024 statice! I am not ready to shout whoo hoo yet - still have a bit more seeding to do. But, I was thinking about everyone and wondering specifically about you and Trish!

I haven't had extra time to chat online either...our weather was so cold until early May that I couldn't plant, and now am wondering how the season will shape up!

I hope you both are doing better each day...good thoughts are being sent your way for healthy, speedy recoveries!

Take care!!
    Wendy

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THanks, Wendy! I Am having a tough time right now with tendonities down both legs...seemms that the PT was not right for me. I am on a different program and meds now...actual knees feel pretty good, but that tendonitis makes the legs feel 100 yrs old and 100 lbs each! Still sleeping a lot more while the body heals, but I think I can see the sunlight at the end of the tunnel.

SUnlight is something we have not had nearly enough of here! How cold was it this morning for you? It was 42 degrees here when I got up at 6:30! I went looking for basil starts at 2 nurseries today and they had all lost them from the cold!

IT sure is a good thing my peony garden, English rose garden and shrubs have matured this year or I would have nothing for my customers! As it is, the peonies and roses have been going well, and the new planting of snapdragons are starting to make budded stalks. The sweet peas I set out before the 2nd surgery are just starting to bloom...very sparse, but I tried some of the the Greenhouse sweet peas from Owl Acres in England and then set them out when varmints ate many of my started sweet peas in the greenhouse. Those are starting to bloom, but sparsely now. THey sure are welcome! 9 dahlias had buds as of yesterday although probably a 4th of last years plants are still trying to come up and are only green sprouts! I think the budded ones were all ones I prestarted in gallon pots in March. Just hope I can keep roses coming until the dahlias kick in! Annuals mostly did not germinate or suffocated in the weeds and my perennial cutting garden needs hours of work to save it...work I simply can not do right now! Well, lilies are kicking in...Thank the Good Gardener for my passion for lilies in previous years! Still need to plant the last half of the gladioli!

THis weird cold year it is a question of what might actually bloom before frost! It does not seem the year to try chrysanthmums, though I wanted to!

As a Gardener I have faith that something will bloom somewhere on my 4 acres when I need it, and am not above buying starts at the nurseries. Thank goodness that we just have a small local market!

• flower_farmer
    15 years ago

While battling cancer, I have thought a lot about the simple things in life, the things that don't require lots of worry or money. The things that remain even in the most difficult times.

I am so grateful and count my blessings even more so yesterday as I watched my granddaughter making bouquets. Loving, playful and so full of love with her infectious giggle. Watching her gives me a glimpse into the kind and considerate person she will be when she grows up.

I am so grateful for all the love that surrounds me. It fills me with something far beyond words. My husband, my children, my grandchildren, my extended family and friends who have been around for decades are gifts -- life's greatest gifts. We don't need fancy surroundings or fancy clothes to take in all this love. What we do need in life is the time to sit back and soak it all in. I need my quiet walks in the flower field to awaken me to the things that count. I know I am blessed, no doubt about it.

Yes, of course, many plants are behind in blooming compared to last year. The yarrow, crocosmia, perennial glads, salvia. Just to name a few. The Canterbury Bells were moved to the field in late spring after growing in the ground in a hightunnel all winter. I don't think they will produce blooms until next season because I'm sure we messed with their vernalization period. Most of the dahlias in the field survived the flooding here in the Upper Midwest. However, with all the rain came the weeds. It is hard work keeping on top of the weeding for my Mister. The Karma dahlias in the hightunnel are beautiful. And, the lilies were as well -- although the timing was off dreadfully. The lisianthus will be blooming in the next week or two hopefully.

It is the simple things in life, however, that give us the most if we take the time to comprehend these gifts and appreciate them.

Thank you LisaLily for inquiring. As you know, it is a struggle; however, we can fight our way back to better health.

Kindest thoughts to all my cut flower buddies!

Trish

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trish, so good to hear from you! Yes, the Drs can do what they are good at but there is so much healing of the soul and life from our flowers! I also have a new puppy who adds that other essential element, LOL.

• flowers4u
    15 years ago

Trish - thanks for letting us know how you are. You are so right...its the little things! But, know I think of you and our flower friends when I'm in my dahlia patch! I explain to would be wedding customers, that there's always a spot I don't get weeded...so look beyond the weeds! But in amoung the weeds are the beautiful flowers!

I do send good thoughts and hugs your way and hope you get great news soon! Sounds like you have the recipe for success right their within your family and your own resolve.

Take care and do keep us posted!

Wendy in OR (where everything is late and at least a foot shorter than last year!)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz