Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuzariprincess

I want to introduce myself

kuzariprincess
15 years ago

I want to introduce myself. I love having cut flowers so I decided to start a cutting garden. I would love suggestions for morning sun/part-sun location.

I live in zone 3A in a semi-arid region and have a very short growing season but wonderfully long days.

Comments (6)

• thinman
    15 years ago

Hi Kuzariprincess, and welcome to the group, such as it is at this time. It's a slow time of year for people to take the time to post, and one of the group's spark plugs is fighting a serious illness. At least I think that's part of why there's not much happening here. I'm mostly a newbie on this forum myself. This seems to be mostly a forum for cut flower growers and sellers, when it is active. Check through the archives and you'll see what I mean.

Sorry you haven't got any responses to your question, but I thought someone should at least say Hi back at ya.

ThinMan

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

Hi to you Kuzari Princess. I have been another active member of the forum but am recovering from having both knees replaced this spring. That means that next summer I should be VERY active on the forum, LOL. But right now it means I ahve tendonitis in both legs after trying to weed one whole long row that I planted just before the 2nd surgery on 30 April. And I have a prescription to rest the legs and do physical therapy for the tendonitis...really a discouraging garden year for me!

Never the less, I sold out of peony/English rose bouquets yesterday at my stand and need to go make up some more. I keep struggling along but not much time for internet between sleeping and trying to keep up.

Will try to be on now more and answer any questions if I can...might serve as a refresher course for me!

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Does everyone here grow cut flowers for sale? I sure wish I knew about this board when I was a florist. I see several of you in my area. Alas, I quit after over twenty years and spend my days selling gifts wholesale to stores.

Now I just grow flowers because I love them. DH has severe allergies so I can't bring them indoors.

• teresa_b
    15 years ago

Hello buyorsell888,

I grow cut flowers as a hobby and not to sell. Like many here, I hated to cut the flowers in my landscaping beds around the house so I put in a bed just for cut flowers to bring into the house.

This was my first year with a new bed and house so I'm not where I want to be just yet. I'm already putting together my list for next year.

I really like this Board; however, it is not as active as several of the others (Perennials, Roses) so I visit those on occasion to find other selections to consider.

Teresa

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

There are so many boards on Garden Web, I find "new" ones all the time... I have varied garden interests. :) I wish I could bring cut flowers inside..

• flowers4u
    15 years ago

Welcome both Buyorsell and Kuzari princess. I don't think everyone here is a cutflower grower (I am, but also just love flowers). I too started because I got tired of cutting my "home garden" flowers! Now, I have 2 1/2 acres...and not enough time for my home garden or to check this forum very often. Which this time of year is what happens with the growers...we're out weeding, still planting, changing water, cutting, arranging, selling, and starting over again. Sleep...humm, what's that? :)

To answer your questions - perennials that are hardy to your area first, then, annuals that are plugs/plants may be your best bet. I struggle with nights that get below 45 quite often, which slows down many things (like peppers, zinnias, celosia, etc.) I don't have a hoophouse - would love one, but that's a future capital investment!

I suggest looking at what others in your area are growing, what the local nurseries grow, and then of course, what you like! There are so many possibilities, especially if you're not growing to sell them and need 200 of one kind of plant at a time!

Good luck,
    Wendy

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996