Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_mickleson

A couple of new bouquets....

Karen Mickleson
18 years ago

Here's this year's first bouquets--I went shopping yesterday & got on a vase roll :-) I love playing with the colors.

{{gwi:624381}}

{{gwi:624382}}

And a closeup:

{{gwi:624383}}

Comments (22)

• susiq
    18 years ago

Stunningly beautiful, as usual! Ever since you posted your first pics, I've been in bright color envy! I LOVE your arrangements, tablecloths, and vases!

I've been looking for bright vases (and tablecloths) ever since your first photos also, but Walmart just doesn't carry them!

Sooo, tell us all! Names of flowers, & if you don't mind, sources for your vases & tablecloths! I recognize that some are dahlias, some are roses, delphiniums(?--the blue?), and some are foxgloves, but I don't know what the green filler is, or the names of the roses/dahlias.

I'd like to try to put together an outdoor arrangement like yours, but I bet you don't have two rambunctious dogs, chasing two scared cats, running through your photo area at unpredictable times!

Thanks for sharing your talent and the bounty from your garden.

Susi.

• rita2004
    18 years ago

Susi,
    I don't know where the great vases come from but I went into Garden Ridge Pottery last week and was amazed by all the pretty vases they now carry. Maybe try there.

Rita

• Karen Mickleson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Susi, for your kind enthusiasm. It's fun to share them, as I live alone, and often few if any folk get to see them.

Well, let's see. This tablecloth is a ten buck special from Bed, Bath & Beyond's summer seasonal stuff. The one in the previous series [as are many others] I bought in France, in Provence. The blue vase I got from Crate & Barrel outlet store; the orange one I picked up at an arty garden shop in Berkeley whose name I can't remember! Often I'll find vases at Ross or Marshall's or a local crafts store. I'm always looking for bright colored pitchers for vases. It's so hit & miss. I usually find my best gems when I'm not looking for them, of course!

The roses inlcude Radio Times [pink], Louise Clements [light orange], Pensioner's Voice [darker orangy--a gorgeous, multi blended rose], The Fairy [tiny pink]. The dahlias I don't recall names of. The chartreuse--one is feverfew; the lacy one is Lady's Mantle.

And, as for pets, you bet I have 'em. In fact, I had to enclose the whole garden at the beginning [Fall, 2000] because of them--which enclosure & dogs can be seen in the Garden Development album at my photobucket site [below]. I knew if I was going to grow roses, I'd have to enclose it, as they're *very* shaggy girl dogs who shadow me 24 - 7! Don't know *what* I'd do if I had cats, too. It'd be a mess & I'd be bonkers.

Best,
    Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: link to Garden Development album

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Karen, love your colors. That you went bonkers with the vases is just a gift to us all. I have serious dahlia envy! Mine are anywhere from a paltry two inches to 20 inches tall. Is it wrong for me to covet heat? I covet heat.

Susi, I think the lovely chartreuse filler is none other than Lady's Mantle- a must have.

Karen,
    In photo one, do you know the name of the yellow cactus dahlia?
    In Photo two do you know the name of light pink cactus dahlia?
    Do you know how cold and wet it is up here? All of a sudden I love California! We set the top temperature pace at a blistering 56 degrees here today at the homestead. Boo Hiss.
    Under no circumstances are you allowed to have an earthquake that would threaten your vases. Stay safe and keep growing! Cats, BTW, aren't that destructive on a garden, at least I don't think so. They make for good quiet company lounging near your work area. Don't know how your lovely shaggy canines would take to them however!
    Thanks for the photos.

• susiq
    18 years ago

Karen: I've gone to your website before, went again this evening. You've done a masterful job! It took you, what, five minutes?! LOL! Well, since everything GROWS magnificently in California, surely the design & implementation is a snap, too! I saw some of the fencing, looked like the big square cattle fencing we have here. It's a neat idea, which you have cleverly nearly perfectly hidden behind your wonderful flowers! I couldn't tell where the garden is and the dog area is, but I was scanning pretty quickly.

Another question: How do you keep your tablecloths from fading?

Poochella: Cats are only good garden companions when there are NO luscious vases full of flowers nearby, or a Great Dane who thinks he's supposed to chase said cats through whatever obstacle course the humans have put in place, including luscious vases full of flowers!

Susi.

• Karen Mickleson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gee, Pooch--I can see where growing Dahlias in western WA would be a frustrating challenge. It's true: CA heat does the trick. Wish I could export some for you, as it makes me sweat like a pig even at "normal" temps!

Unfortunately, I'm not good at labeling my plants. The 2 dahlias you mention were ones I stumbled upon in one nursery or another. The problem for me with cats would be that Mooph & Phoebe would chase and torment them, creating mayhem, and also, I'm allergic.

Susi: I started the project in the fall of 2000! The enclosure is made from the stuff they use as undergirding for cement driveways & such. It comes in 4' x 8' pieces, which, put on their sides lengthwise, became a perfect solution, because they'd rust just like the arbor, provide climbing for vines--*and* give me surcease from the constant, pleading energies of my neurotic Phoebe, who suffers separation anxiety if she can't see me.

"How do you keep your tablecloths from fading?"

HA! I don't! I just removed the gorgeous purple & gold one from the previous series & it's totally ruined. And the one from the recent bouquets will probably be faded by the end of the summer. I'm pretty lazy about some things. Guess I'll just have to go back to France next year and fetch some more-- ;-) maybe by now they'll have more choices in the oilcloth, waterproof variety, which fade much slower.

Karen

• judithva
    18 years ago

Hi Karen,

I'm normally a lurker here, because I am not a knowledgeable flower grower, but your pictures of your flower arrrangements are just beautiful. You have inspired me to try! They look like they should be on a flower calendar like you see in the book stores! I may be a beginner, but I know what I love, and I love your style! Please keep posting your beautiful pictures!

Do you have any suggestions for some flowers/roses that are relatively easy for a begginer like me?
    What kind of a solution do you put in your water for your flowers?
    Thank you for your help, you are a real inspiration.
    Judy

• Karen Mickleson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Not to worry, Judy. Everyone is a beginner at some point.

The thing you probably love about my 'style' is my use of bright, complementary colors. Oranges and pinks are complementary to purples & blues. I work with these shades a lot.

Dahlias are easy to grow, carry a lot of 'color impact' & they come back every year bigger than before [probably so in Virginia, I imagine]. Research them on the web to learn what colors & types you like so you're ready to order or buy locally in the spring.

As for roses, I've had a long learning curve with them. So much of it is trial & error & depends on which roses love your location. It's wise to decide before you get into it if you're willing to spray, use pesticides, etc, because many require that to do well. Many of my favorites come from Heirloom Roses--some of their own productions. Also, they sell many Harkness roses, which offer a wide array of oranges which I like for color combining. One favorite of theirs is The Impressionist, a climber which is gorgeous & smells divine.

The best tip I can give anyone is this: locate the best planting soil mix you can find near you--where the landscapers buy their supply, one which includes lava rock, rice hulls & compost, and bring it in by cubic yards if you're going to do a garden, instead of doing the backbreaking work of soil amending. This will make the whole experience fun.

Feel free to email me privately with questions.

Karen

• judithva
    18 years ago

Karen,
    Thanks for the quick and informative reply. Well my first step will definately be finding that soil you are talking about because my soil is definately clay, with "some" decent top soil. I only have a small area that gets full sun, but I plan on making the most of it. Thanks again, I am definately looking foreward to your future pictures!
    Judy

• nicucoll
    18 years ago

Ok now I am new to gardening so please forgive me..what are the flowers in the first photo ( the tall blue ones) and also in the photo the pale yellow and pink spiky flowers on the bottom...thank you....for the inspiration

• Karen Mickleson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi, nicucoll. You're welcome. The blue is delphinium ["Bella Donna"]--there are 2 or 3 main types. Bella Donna grows about 2' in loose stems which tend to need support. The spiky flowers are dahlias: they grow from tubers, funny looking root things, you plant in the ground in spring. Most get very tall. Hope this helps.

Karen

• DapperDahlia
    18 years ago

I love your arrangments but they make me all the more nervous about doing my own to sell since i didnt really plant any fillers. All i have are dahlias and sunflowers....do boquets look decent and sell without fillers?

• Karen Mickleson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't sell, Dapper. I do them just for my own pleasure. But if I did, I'd want fillers in them.

Karen

• nicucoll
    18 years ago

What would be acouple of good fillers...

• Karen Mickleson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, from another thread, I stand corrected: apparently bouquets of dahlias without fillers sell quite well! So perhaps the key is "not to worry". Since I'm not in business & am only serving my own aesthetics, my comment is not educated re: the selling public.

For next year, plant some feverfew, lady's mantle, queen anne's lace, and maidenhair ferns. There are many others, but those are my faves. I'm always on the lookout for others. I'm partial to those with chartreuse, as I think that color complements the brights really well.

Good luck with your sales!!

Karen

• nicucoll
    18 years ago

Karen...i live in Pa....will the Maidenhair ferns grow in my area...i've never planted ferns before so i'm not too sure...would love to see more pics of garden/and arrangements...you make me want to get out there and garden 24/7....thanks

• Karen Mickleson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nicucoll,

I grow my maidenhair ferns in pots on a sheltered patio. We get hard frosts here, but no snow. Usually they die back & I cut them all off in spring & feed & water, & they come back fast and beautiful. In your area, I'd winter the pots in a garage or something. Many people use them as houseplants.

The link below goes to my albums at Photobucket, where you can see many more photos of the garden & flowers. I'm glad to inspire you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Karen's Albums

• nicucoll
    18 years ago

Thank you for all your help!!!

• DapperDahlia
    18 years ago

I know this is really off the subject but kmickleson what kind of camera do you use? YOu have beuatiful pictures!

• Karen Mickleson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

DD, I use a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-V1. The camera world is such that every few months one's camera is outdated. This one serves my purposes well as a point & shoot. I hang out on the Digital Photography Review site, http://www.dpreview.com, for investigation purposes.

Karen

• Karen Mickleson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

DD, I use a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-V1. The camera world is such that every few months one's camera is outdated. This one serves my purposes well as a point & shoot. I hang out on the Digital Photography Review site, http://www.dpreview.com, for investigation purposes.

Karen

• alinehuey
    18 years ago

Karen
    I enjoyed viewing your pictures and sent the link to a friend to view because she is interested in making a bed with rocks around it.
    Aline

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner