Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Article on 'clink's' cut flower business

Posted by jansblooms z4 IA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 24, 06 at 15:55

I had a pleasant surprise last night reading a rural weekly newspaper, Iowa Farmer Today. In it was an article entitled "Flower power; Blossoms attractive, tasty." The article discussed using fresh flowers for beauty in our homes, as well as in foods. The person interviewed was "our" Cathy, whose screen name here is "clink," and whose cut-flower farm is Miss Effie's Country Flowers and Garden Stuff. There were photos of lilies in front of an out building, pansies garnishing a plate of pansy bread, and Cathy holding a hen. Recipes included were for the Pansy Bread, Calendula Muffins, and Lavender Drop Cookies.

It was good to see some publicity on her business and her philosophy. Way to go, Cathy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Article on 'clink's' cut flower business

Jansblooms, thanks for posting the article, it was a great to read about a flower farmer from this group.

Cathy, you really are an inspiration with the risk you took starting something completely new to you and being so successful at it - I love your philosophy that everyone deserves fresh flowers - and I can't wait to try your recipes.

Linda

o

Jan -- You are so sweet! I think often of sitting and talking with you and Marc. What an enjoyable afternoon.

The interview came out of the blue -- the author found me on Local Harvest. Great place to put your listings. Less than two days later -- the interview was done. So it was all at the spur of the moment -- garden was clean (but not the house!)

We will tape our very first tv commercial tomorrow. And this week we were also published in the Radish -- a local magazine devoted to fresh foods, gardening and healthy lifestyle. So it is an action-filled but exciting week here in Iowa.

About the recipes --- I am not really a fan of edible flowers. They do make an "interesting" recipe. The calendula muffins are good -- the pansy bread has a "pound cake" like taste. But I think the addition of chocolate or nuts or lemon would do a lot!! LOL!

But doing the article -- got me in the magazine and publicity and marketing is the life-blood of the self-employed. And fortunately, the degree in Home Ec paid off!!!

But if you are serving a garden club or tea -- it is fun.

Thank you so much for thinking of us.
Cathy

o

Hey, where in Iowa are you guys located?

o

Cathy - great job! And, you spurred me on...I added my flower farm too! I like that organization, so it does make sense to use it!

Wendy

o

Pick Your Own is a free site to list your farm if you have you pick - the link is below.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Pick Your Own

o

Linda -- I have a listing on that site too! Got to try to be every where.

We are located on the east coast of Iowa --- just 8 miles from the Mississippi. Just north of Davenport.

For those of you that wonder at times if it is worth it --- it is. I wanted to throw in the towel many times. But I LOVE what I do....... and I love the people that I meet. (I'm not crazy about the weeds!)

I sent copies of the article to other media outlets........now we are talking to a tv show about a segment.

Thanks everyone for your kind words.
Cathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here