Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question regarding ranunculus

Posted by kitkat_oregon 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 17:28

Last fall I planted ranunculus and have harvested most of the flowers with pretty good success. The whites have been the best and most productive. They came in a mix from Easy to Grow bulbs, and the colors were not as productive and honestly a little washed out. What are the best groups for cuts with really vibrant colors that you use? Even though technically I am a zone 7 / 7b, these overwinter as evergreen in my garden and then come on relatively early in the spring here. I would like to plant lots more so any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Kat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question regarding ranunculus

• Posted by magz88 5a - Central Ontario (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 9:57

I don't know but I am honestly jealous that you are in a zone that you can grow these. I started some indoors this year hoping some would make it and although they grew I didn't get any flowers.

I think the seller is called Carlsbad or something but they have an amazing array of options for ranunculus and I believe a lot of them are bred for the cut-flower trade.

o

Hi magz88, thanks for the response. It is actually something of an anomaly in my garden because these flowers are rated as a zone 8/9 and I happen to have one section in my garden that obliges them. Weird. They are indeed a fabulous cut and last for about 7 days under the right care. I looked at the Carlsbad site but it appears to be only for visitors to their flower fields not for online ordering as far as I could tell. I hope you are having a great cutting season. Kat

o

Hi Kat
The 'LaBelle' series is what most of the ASCFG cut flower growers use. They are available from Fred C. Gloeckner and Co. whose bulb facility is in Clackamas, Oregon. There maybe another supplier but that's where I get them from. Peak ordering time is now.
Cheers
Kim - BFFF

o

Thanks Kim, I'll give them a call. They are just a few hours from me. Kat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here